New viewer, New nightmare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok, so Im really hoping someone can give me some input here. 

I downloaded the latest update, as stated in another thread I got tons of errors multiple times, finally after a restore, a clean removal, and 5 tries, I got it to stop throwing my multiple DLL errors. 

my water, once pristine and beautiful, now looks like construction paper.  Everything that has a shine on it, is now transparent or looks like shiney black coal.....I did notice some new settings with shadows, but things only return to semi-normal when unchecked, but still way off....so after searching I found this:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lighting_and_shadows

Im assuming this means I need a NEW graphics card....I no longer have the ability to change my windlight or water, this is an absolute nightmare.....Someone please spare me and tell me where I can find the DL for the last version pretty plz lol

In your OP, you wrote "my water, once pristine and beautiful, now looks like construction paper." How could you water have appeared pristine and beautiful previously, if you did not have an earlier version of a viewer installed? Do a system restore and go back to the previous viewer version.

I found where you can step back to Viewer 2.6 but no further back (that's probably the viewer you were using before you downloaded and installed the one that's giving you trouble).

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Supported_Viewers

It's near the bottom of the page under the heading "Supported Viewers".  You can download the 2.6 and get rid of the 2.7.  Make sure you do a clean install again..........completely get rid of 2.7, including searching for and manually deleting all files left over from your uninstall.

With all the errors you had with the installation and the discription of your problems it does appear that you have some sort of video issue.  It's likely a corrupted or damaged driver (though your card may failed.......but don't assume that until you fix the drivers).  To the download site for your video card manufacturer and search for the latest driver for your card (there's a search feature you fill out....it's easy).  When you find the driver download it to your computer (do not run from the website).  Close your browser and any other programs you might have open and uninstall your old driver.  You'll be required to restart you computer for the uninstall for finalize and when your computer boots back up you'll have Windows tell you it found new hardware and want you to let Windows search for and install a driver for it......don't allow Windows to do that (your graphics is going to look horrible but it will be functional).  Go to where you saved the driver you downloaded and install it.......you'll need to restart again for the installation to complete.  This time when you boot back up you will be using the new driver and things should be fine (fingers crossed, anyway).  Now install the Viewer 2.6 and log in......hopefully you'll be back to where you were before you got the viewer update a few minutes ago.  You'll have to go through your settings again to get them back but your video issues should be cleared up.

I've only done a few system restores and only one ever worked.  Doing restores after you have uninstalled a program that was present on the system at the restore point can really mess up your registry..........I know, I tried it once (wound up having to format and start all over..........but I really needed to do that anyway with all the crap I did to my computer back then :matte-motes-big-grin-wink: )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.