Symbols in Fashion

Cinnamon Mistwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There was some discussion a few days ago about symbols that some people use.  The most recent was the "OK" hand sign that now means something completely different.  I want to be a responsible consumer and I certainly don't want to accidentally buy something that has a meaning that I was unaware of and then wear it in public.

I personally do not wear religious symbols or skulls (unless Halloween costume)

I want to try something completely different with my avatar for fun and was looking at jewelry on the Marketplace.  I found some earrings I like, but before I buy them, I was hoping someone could tell me if a symbol being used means anything other than the obvious.  It is 3 crescents and a circle.  I am hoping this doesn't turn into debates and opinions on what should be allowed in SL, but just a place to put a symbol to find out if there is a different meaning or any meaning.  This is the symbol on the earring:

image.png.0c94ad5ae4916699b09d734bdcb7178c.png

Is this just a biohazard-type symbol or is there a religious meaning?  The moon shapes are making me question whether I should purchase.  

• Like 2

That's a biohazard symbol. As far as I know, wearing it is usually meant as a playful/ ironic way of saying you're dangerous. It can also be used in the gay community to signal that someone is infected with AIDS, but I don't think that would apply in SL.

https://www.tattooseo.com/biohazard-tattoo-meaning/

The triple moon symbol looks like this, representing the waxing, full and waning moon, and by extension the "Triple Goddess" concept of the feminine aspect of Deity being represented as Maiden, Mother and Crone (or 3 related goddesses in various pantheons).

triple-moon.thumb.jpg.178b601e963000f3b8c98016d364d682.jpg

The Trequetra or Celtic Knot looks similar too, and represents various forms of trinity, including the Christian concept of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Trinity-Knot.thumb.png.6ac7f484ca1313816d99f1ec70293e2e.png

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks like the standard biohazard symbol.

https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/biohazard-symbol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_hazard

https://phil.cdc.gov/Details.aspx?pid=1402

As for meaning, what Persephone says is correct. At least two of my tattoos use the symbol and it basically means you're pretty deadly. I wear it on my undead avatars, usually. It's also the name of Resident Evil 7 (so zombies, basically)!

Big version here on my chest area.

Indestructible

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It can also be used in the gay community to signal that someone is infected with AIDS, but I don't think that would apply in SL.

This was news to me.  Thanks!

@Ayashe Ninetails deadly is not what I have envisioned for a fun look, but you make deadly look so gooooood!

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

This was news to me.  Thanks!

@Ayashe Ninetails deadly is not what I have envisioned for a fun look, but you make deadly look so gooooood!

Awwwww thank you!

If you want some tattoos that are less...srs bsns, take a peek at Carol G. She's got some lovely florals and other whimsical styles that aren't quite so morbid. Flickr page below.

Carol G.

Edit: And for super cute jewelry, try Vibing and E.Marie.

Vibing

e.marie

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added links
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.