The selling and buying of mainland parcels

Spooky Shadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am new to buying land and just really started a few months ago and got hooked. It is a lot of fun. Finding little plots for myself to decorate and enjoy all over the grid is great. 
Love the treasure hunt aspect to look at the map and finding that 4x protected water parcel for $2/sqm. Fun and profitable. 
For the land selling veterans out there; Is there a pattern as to how land sales go throughout the year? 
Are they slower in the summer? Better in the winter when more people are on? 

I'm trying to learn the flow of it as when I started land sales were quick and easy and recently just stopped to a crawl and curious if that is just how it is when summers hit the northern hemisphere. 

Hi Marius! :) Congrats on your adventure. I probably don't have the best advice, as I find myself more of a rental agency, rather than a re-seller. I think maybe some people who sell more than I do may have more to share and even better advice, but here are a few items:

• For sure summer (in the northern hemisphere) can be a lower traffic period for SecondLife, mostly because as of April 2022 about 50% of SL's traffic is from a U.S.-based audience. That said, during slow times, it's also a great time to buy properties at a lower rate, just like RL :) The reverse side of that is, you need to have the diligence and patience to wait for busier months Fall/Winter to sell those properties (this can be a difficult part) so you need to also buy at the right price. We all want a quick result in today's fast-paced world, but land sales really only benefit the very patient (which is why I don't really do it! Giggles :) ). 
  • This said, even a few days ago the concurrency rate was 53,000, which I think is seasonally high for SL, so I'm not sure population is the issue exactly. SL is its own economy, but it's also really based a lot on how well the U.S., Canadian & European economies are doing, because about 65% of the audience is from these regions (image below). Right now, everyone is dealing with high prices for energy and much higher costs in our household and somewhat lagging wage growth in relation to inflation, which will reduce the demand for a lot of SL items, as I think a lot of people are focusing on saving money at home and cutting back on non-essentials. 
  • In closing, I encourage you to keep on your path. Even though right now might be a more turbulent time, if you are organized and disciplined, you can still do well with your land sales. I have quite a few veteran friends that do land sales in 2022 and do well because they are persistent and dedicated .... I think land sales are like anything in SL, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Best of luck with your new business!

image.thumb.png.2f8be9bfaf52c0b68259fa11fafd4ad6.png

Edited by Alexis Crisp
  • Like 2

I'm going to add that what I've seen people saying on the forums is that some are dropping their alts extra tier to save money, while some are trying the Bellisseria Linden Homes. There's also the lingering question of whether Premium Plus will make owning mainland more appealing. I'm sure there are people who want to own mainland, but some of them might be waiting right now.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, Marius Darkheart said:

I'm trying to learn the flow of it as when I started land sales were quick and easy and recently just stopped to a crawl and curious if that is just how it is when summers hit the northern hemisphere. 

a thing to factor in when we are new to trading in land

long-time land traders will buy land at a reasonable markup price from residents they know to not be land traders. The traders know that these residents will, by and large, spend what they might get in a markup to buy other land on which to settle/live

when the long time traders recognise that the new resident has become a land trader also, then they stop buying that land at markup prices

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

There's also the lingering question of whether Premium Plus will make owning mainland more appealing. I'm sure there are people who want to own mainland, but some of them might be waiting right now.

I'm waiting.  I'm either going to make this account premium or make my premium account "plus" but I don't know which until they release the details about plus.  Apparently they'll get around to it during their birthday thing, allegedly.

I won't give up my original 512 parcel and it seems silly to buy another little 512 while I wait for plus to be released so.....I'm waiting.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the great info and pretty much confirmed what I assumed happens with the slower summer months, and general world economy right now.
Thanks Alexis for going into the depth that you did. I've seen your parcels around the grid and even rented one for a very short time. You do it well. Cheers!!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.