Couple questions on SL photography

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am still finding my "style" but in looking at my Flickr feed I notice many pics are sideways or skewed..why do they do that?Is it just an artsy "style"? or another reason?

Also, I read de saturating pics helps them look more "real", do you find that to be true?

This is my feed so far..

Amberyl Ethaniel

Edited by Amberyl Ethaniel
typo

Totally sideways pics seems to be used so they might be picked for a group banner.  Not the best way to show a pic IMO.  Dutch angle, the tilted version, is something that became popular with those using the Black Dragon viewer.  It's supposed to be used as a way to set a tone or feel to a picture.  Google dutch angle. 

Personally, I've deleted all Flickr contacts who use either version exclusively.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Dutch angle, the tilted version, is something that became popular with those using the Black Dragon viewer.  It's supposed to be used as a way to set a tone or feel to a picture.  Google dutch angle.

Thanks, I will.It's eyecatching but I find myself wanting to turn the pic so my eyes can make better sense of it. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Thanks, I will.It's eyecatching but I find myself wanting to turn the pic so my eyes can make better sense of it. lol

It's best used for communicating the idea of "action," or of an impromptu snap taken quickly without posing. It definitely can be (and often is) overused, and I agree with your sentiment about wanting to turn the pic sideways -- but one of the reasons people seem to use it is because the vast majority of computer screens use a landscape format, and you can fit more detail in from side to side, rather than top to bottom. Of course, that doesn't apply if you're viewing on a phone.

2 hours ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Also, I read de saturating pics helps them look more "real", do you find that to be true?

I think a lot of people do this, and use a dark black & white format for the same reason. I think there's something to be said for the idea that really bright colours can look more "cartoony" than muted ones. I don't, or very very rarely, desaturate pics myself, but I am attracted to a darker, more muted colour palette, perhaps unconsciously in part for that reason?

Again, I think desaturation can be overused. A really clever use of colour would tend to produce more muted shades for background, and more punchy ones for the focal interest, in order to draw attention to the main subject of the pic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

one of the reasons people seem to use it is because the vast majority of computer screens use a landscape format, and you can fit more detail in from side to side, rather than top to bottom. Of course, that doesn't apply if you're viewing on a phone.

Ah, that does make sense now that you put it that way. Thanks! I'm not really drawn to that style but I see tons of pics that are in that style so others probably are..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am attracted to a darker, more muted colour palette, perhaps unconsciously in part for that reason?

Again, I think desaturation can be overused. A really clever use of colour would tend to produce more muted shades for background, and more punchy ones for the focal interest, in order to draw attention to the main subject of the pic.

I am too I think.

Do you have any examples of the brighter subject, more muted background?

OOH, if the account I see is yours, I love your use of shadows. very effective.

Edited by Amberyl Ethaniel
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Amberyl Ethaniel said:

Do you have any examples of the brighter subject, more muted background?

Hmmm. Not really? It's not something I tend to think about generally: I use light and shadow (and sometimes DoF) rather than colour to produce this effect.

The nearest examples I can think of offhand from my own pics are this one:

Vyshyvanka Day

and this one:

Future Tense

But in the first example, it's arguably the bright white of the top, rather than the colour of the embroidery on it, that is having the most impact. And in the second, while my burgundy dress is virtually the only colour in the pic, it is pretty muted itself, and doesn't really "pop out."

Might make for an interesting experiment to try this more consciously, though!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hmmm. Not really? It's not something I tend to think about generally: I use light and shadow (and sometimes DoF) rather than colour to produce this effect.

The nearest examples I can think of offhand from my own pics are this one:

Vyshyvanka Day

and this one:

Future Tense

But in the first example, it's arguably the bright white of the top, rather than the colour of the embroidery on it, that is having the most impact. And in the second, while my burgundy dress is virtually the only colour in the pic, it is pretty muted itself, and doesn't really "pop out."

Might make for an interesting experiment to try this more consciously, though!

I see what you mean..the brighter/darker colors are drawing the eye, and definitely an interesting idea for future shoots! Thanks for posting examples!SO much to learn..

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.