Why Deliveries Fail

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Whoa whoa wait. I know this was 2009 but some Linden actually, seriously said in essence: Oh sure, we can offer a 100% delivery rate, but we'll let everyone have constant failed deliveries unless they pay, of course?

That's almost too dirty for me to accept as truth.

Ai Velde wrote:

Whoa whoa wait. I know this was 2009 but some Linden actually, seriously said in essence: Oh sure, we can offer a 100% delivery rate, but we'll let everyone have constant failed deliveries unless they pay, of course?

That's almost too dirty for me to accept as truth.

Not exactly. That post just tabulates the methods of IM's and inventory transfers for the given states, nothing new really. What Pink Linden was trying to ascertain was what value would there be in having a better method for delivery and would we be prepared to pay for it. Quite a normal commercial proposition, after all, we put a price on our products as we believe they have a value to someone. One of the comments that is in that post is that llGiveInventory fails to a busy transfer because there's no method for LSL to determine busy. That's incorrect, llGetAgentInfo provides that and it strikes me as odd that no vendor with a gift function has ever bothered to implement that yet. Needless to say, it'll be in ours very shortly :) This isn't the same as getting a notification on delivery but it would be trivial to check that the recipient isn't busy before the gifter pays and then warn them prior to the final pay. Anyway, llGiveInventory is all we have for scripted boxes and Marketplace will have Direct Delivery so Pink's vision of us paying for more reliable delivery as far as Marketplace is concerned is rather moot now.

>What Pink Linden was trying to ascertain was what value would there be in having a better method for delivery and would we be prepared to pay for it. 

In other words, how much extra we should pay them to do what they already said they would do at the current price.

For more on left-coast adherents to such a philosophy, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IudPPlBmJs4

If they have to organise their project teams, just as with any commercial organisation, there needs to be a justification for doing so, usually a financial justification. We've had llGiveInventory for 8 years now and yes it would be nice for it to confirm delivery with an event. It doesn't. I don't recall Pink Linden ever saying "we will guarantee delivery based on systems around the current limitations of LSL". That would be one way of fixing it, Direct Delivery is intended to be another, for which there is no additional cost. Like I said, it's rather moot now.

The only needed justification for doing so is the implied warranty of utility, unless otherwise specified in their fine print (can you show me where?).

I guess they just calculated that the legal cost of screwing with people was less than the legal cost of not screwing with people.

Do you happen to recall the "recall" monologue from "Fight Club"?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.