Double Sided Mesh Land Imapct Bug?

Oct Oyen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm making a simple house plant with leaves that are double sided in Blender by duplicate the leaf mesh and flip normal. When the plant uploaded into SL as one object, the LI goes crazy high 19LI. With the exact same model, I separate it into two objects

1. Top leaves mesh (normal upward) and stems.

2. Down side leaves mesh (normal downward).

Each object is about 0.5 LI and when they are linked together in SL the LI is 1.

So why double-sided mesh in one object's LI goes crazy like that?

Edited by Oct Oyen

I use double sided mesh now and then with no issues. So  I suspect you are doing something incorrectly?  Try using the solidify modifier rather than the method you chose.  Without more info and screenshots it is difficult to say what the problem might be.  

It is probably important to note WHAT is causing the high land impact. Is it the PHYSICS.  There are three things that determine the final land impact in SL.  

15 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I use double sided mesh now and then with no issues. So  I suspect you are doing something incorrectly?  Try using the solidify modifier rather than the method you chose.  Without more info and screenshots it is difficult to say what the problem might be.  

It is probably important to note WHAT is causing the high land impact. Is it the PHYSICS.  There are three things that determine the final land impact in SL.  

Thank you for the solidify modifier suggestion. It works, but in a strange way. When I created the double sided mesh with 0 thickness in solidify modifier, LI went up even more to 39. But with 1 mm thickness (basically adding unnecessary poly), the LI is 1. I guess SL just doesn't like absolute zero thickness double sided mesh. Hey, whatever works, thanks again for the tip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oct Oyen said:

I guess SL just doesn't like absolute zero thickness double sided mesh.

What usually fails on these type of meshes is the auto LOD generator of the uploader. It fails to reduce the geometry for the lower LODs. So you end up with a lowest LOD that is as high in triangle and vertex count as the high LOD. Separating the 2 sides, or custom LODs will work around that.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.