Detecting viewer used?

Monica Balut

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why do you want to know this information in the first place?

You'll find that there can be a lot of grief to doing this stuff unless the client exposes itself intentionally with the users' knowledge. The grief specifically stems from de-anonymization, as in knowing what specific client a specific user is using is a privacy issue.

If you only care of anonymized data though, Media on a Prim could do it I guess. But that only goes as far as people wishing to enable that feature and whether their client supports MoaP in the first place.

You really do need to think carefully about this one.   You can discover what clients people purport to use (it can be spoofed) provided that they have their viewers set to receive parcel media, by using exactly the same method RedZone used before it and its creator were banned.   The problem is that it exposes people's IP addresses and can be used to link them to avatars' uuids, thus outing people's alts and potentially revealing more information about you, too.   So if you do make something that does this without actually asking people to cooperate, you risk a lot of complaints from GreenZone and others, and a flood of ARs.

OK, you're just using it to collect anonymous statistics about viewer use, but people using TPVs with the Parcel Media Filter turned on (a feature that's slowly working its way into the official viewer, I think) are just going to see an unexpected attempt to load a url that doesn't look like a music stream and are naturally going to assume the worst.

Wow I had no idea of the potential problems with this.  My intent was quite simple.  I have a script in a HUD that positions the HUD on the screen.  What I've found is the Kirsten viewer positions things diffently.  For example, I can set the z postion of the HUD to Z.  When I open using Kirsten that same Z position is higher on the screen than the standard SL viewer thereby requiring the user to manually move it down.  My thought is if I knew the viewer, I could accomodate to this.

I guess the answer is that it can't easily be done and not likely avaiable because of potential for bad things.  I'll just have to choose a Z value that accommodates most viewers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.