Throttling

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have written a script to send notecards to a list of subscribers. The subscriber list is on a notecard the script reads. The script has is coded to be well under the send threshold that would trigger throttling as described here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGiveInventory

Nevertheless, I find the script to be unreliable. Sometimes it works fine, other times the intended recipients do not get the notecards. So I am looking for reasons for it not to work, and for it to be able to warn when it will not. Is there a way for a script that gives notecards to a list of avatars can know if the region it is running in has been throttled in advance of the attempt to do the gives? Is there a way I can visit a region and know this from Parcel, or Region, details, or other way?

There can be any number of reasons why someone might not get an inventory offer even if the offer wasn't throttled (offlines capped, online but using a viewer that doesn't auto-accept, one region or another was having a bad day etc. etc.)

IMHO the only 99.5% reliable way of getting a message to a list of subscribers is email, but most people don't really ~want to get SL emails for things.

10 hours ago, agentronin said:

I have written a script to send notecards to a list of subscribers.

@Quistess Alpha is right. However if you think you are really throttled, then maybe try again with lower speed of sending and see if that is the cause. Recently there have been some updates by LL, but if they have not changed the thresholds, then it probably should not be the case.

Make also sure that you don't have anything else in that region that is also sending notecards (or another inventory) as it counts too.

Edit: If you are familiar with C/C++ you could also consider making a bot. This can give you more control than LSL (you can know whether a notecard was delivered or not), but I really don't know whether it can actually be used for sending big amounts of notecards (I don't know if bots have the same throttle thresholds as LSL scripts).

Edited by tomm55

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.