trying to rent Land but sale it to the renter

Ael0n

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know the title is a little confusing i want to rent mainland to someone and give them full control while maintaining ownership. they have a group they want to ad it to so that the prims combine I have the casperlet system and ive seen it done before does anyone know how to do this??

You've seen it done before on Mainland? Because on an Estate, the land could be deeded to a group yet the Estate owner could always reclaim the land afterward, whereas on Mainland that deeded-to group would have the ability to give the land away to anybody at any time, so the group owner(s) effectively take possession of the land.

Note that adding parcels to a group only combines prims (land impact) within a region, and has no effect on capacity of land owned by that group elsewhere. (That's true whether Mainland or Estate.)

Now, it's possible that they don't even mean that "the prims combine" by built-in land capacity, rather wanting some manual permission to use prims across parcels; maybe CasperLet has some way of making that easier on the landlord than just keeping track in some ledger. I don't know anything about that, sorry.

One thing that is pretty common for Mainland rentals is to use a separate landlord-owned group for each rental, so a tenant gets invited to their specific land owning group with as many abilities in that group as are safe for the landlord to bestow. I have also (very exceptionally) used a group originally owned by the tenant, but they had to invite my alt in as Owner of the group, then leave the group and be invited back in lesser Roles with those "safe" abilities, before I'd deed the land to that group. It's kind of time-consuming to do all that (especially now that offline group invitations almost never work), and the result is that they'll still show as founders but there's no way to hide the landlord/alt as owner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

One thing that is pretty common for Mainland rentals is to use a separate landlord-owned group for each rental, so a tenant gets invited to their specific land owning group with as many abilities in that group as are safe for the landlord to bestow.

This is the best way to go. Preferably a group per land/parcel and not one umbrella group in which tenants could potentially screw over other tenants on same group land anywhere else on the grid/region, whether that be changing access lists or ban lists, squatting on other tenants land or if multiple rental parcels exist in the same region or if the region is "stacked", using more prims than their own parcel/agreement allows, eating into other tenant's available prims.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I have also (very exceptionally) used a group originally owned by the tenant, but they had to invite my alt in as Owner of the group, then leave the group and be invited back in lesser Roles with those "safe" abilities, before I'd deed the land to that group.

This is potentially dangerous if anyone else in the group is still online when you become the group's owner.

Anyone online could have potential new roles pending from invites/promotions to those roles and might not show in the group until they've relogged, whether they've already accepted or not.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.