Login Failed - possible explanation and a work-around that works for me

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

image.png.d0eaf616bfc5eb27da6a9b9c07312a96.png

Uhm, no.  Don't do that.

Second Life is apparently using Akami Edgesuite.  The IPv4 address returned by DNS for login.agni.lindenlab.com will vary by location.  The two addresses I get for that fully-qualified-domain-name (FQDN) are 69.27.204.9 and 69.27.204.26.  BOTH of those "login servers" are not functioning properly.

In order for me to login to Second Life I have edited the hosts file on my Windows PC so that the local resolver stub running in Windows returns an IP address of my choosing instead of making a DNS query for one.  You can use one of the many "DNS test" web sites to get the results of DNS lookups from other locations.  Pick an address and try it in hosts by adding it to the end of the file:

A.B.C.D login.agni.lindenlab.com

Better still: @Monty Linden @Linden Lab Is this a "poke somebody with a stick" offense?  Software malfunction?  

I have done all and none fixed it:

Flushed DNS & Re-assigned it

Reset Router completely

Tested with no router, just modem to PC

Tested with wifi not ethernet

Testing on lumiya (phone app to connect to SL) using wifi

Checked to make sure PC date AND region is accurate

Synced Calender, date, time, region to Internet

Check routers set date, time, and region to be accurate

Installed ALL NEW UPDATES TO WIN 10

Testing logging into SL via old af tablet (same error)

Turned off ALL firewalls (router, Windows defender, And avast antivirus)

Tried logging into ALL accounts, even creating a new acc and testing it

Added "exceptions" in windows security to allow outbound and inbound connections to secondlife apps

DELETED ALL FILES AND REG KEYS TO SECONDLIFE VIEWERS

Reinstalled Secondlife in a new location, even in sep drives

Only things that worked and gave no errors:

Connecting using DATA (phone)

Connecting using VPN (Slow af and def dont want to pay ***** ton for 24/7 vpn)

Anyone know what to do?????

• Lindens
2 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Better still: @Monty Linden @Linden Lab Is this a "poke somebody with a stick" offense?  Software malfunction? 

It's definitely a case of error handing that makes me scream into the void.  We are transiting Akamai for login now and some added information helps when filing support cases:

(Also, the reverse DNS on '69.27.204.9 ' is not what I expected.  Would like to see the forward lookup @Ardy Lay.)

2 minutes ago, Monty Linden said:

It's definitely a case of error handing that makes me scream into the void.  We are transiting Akamai for login now and some added information helps when filing support cases:

Screenshot_2021-11-29-11-31-54-874_com.opera.browser.jpg

5 minutes ago, Monty Linden said:

Also I have a ticket open with y'all if you need additional info to figure out this bug error. It seems to be location based for sure from all my experimentation. I need access to SL and Ive tried legit everything. 

1 hour ago, Monty Linden said:

(Also, the reverse DNS on '69.27.204.9 ' is not what I expected.  Would like to see the forward lookup @Ardy Lay.)

Okay, sounds like it's worth a "poke somebody with a stick", or, more specifically, a formal bug report.  @Monty Linden  Thanks for telling me what you want to see.  I borrowed a computer or two at the ISP's office and set this up for you: 

[BUG-231495] Login Failed - Second Life Bug Tracker

About that error message the viewer pops up, yes, that needs to be adjusted a bit.  Based on forum posts it's wasting a lot of people's time when they should be poking support or providing detailed bug reports.  I like to ask first, where people look for answers.

Edited by Ardy Lay

1 hour ago, Fluffanuffers said:

and Ive tried legit everything. 

In order for me to login to Second Life I have edited the hosts file on my Windows PC so that the local resolver stub running in Windows returns an IP address of my choosing instead of making a DNS query for one.  You can use one of the many "DNS test" web sites to get the results of DNS lookups from other locations.  Pick an address and try it in hosts by adding it to the end of the file:

A.B.C.D login.agni.lindenlab.com

In Windows you could run notepad.exe as Administrator THEN open the file

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Then add

23.33.85.231 login.agni.lindenlab.com

to the end of your hosts file and save it.

Beware that this IP address could cease serving this function at any time.  Below I show an example of how you can find the DNS responses offered to various locations.  Just pluck one from the page and jam it in the hosts file, knowing you should take it out some time after the issue causing this failure is resolved.

image.thumb.png.1984f5968d5914f696757506711bf5ab.png

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Thanks 1

• Ardy Lay changed the title to Login Failed - possible explanation and a work-around that works for me
1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

Okay, sounds like it's worth a "poke somebody with a stick", or, more specifically, a formal bug report.  @Monty Linden  Thanks for telling me what you want to see.  I borrowed a computer or two at the ISP's office and set this up for you: 

[BUG-231495] Login Failed - Second Life Bug Tracker

About that error message the viewer pops up, yes, that needs to be adjusted a bit.  Based on forum posts it's wasting a lot of people's time when they should be poking support or providing detailed bug reports.  I like to ask first, where people look for answers.

Also see here!!!! It's all over. I even know two people additionally through fb its happening to!!! 

1 hour ago, Monty Linden said:

If you've been experiencing this mode of login failure, give it a try again.  We have been told things are fixed.

Thanks for the heads-up, @Monty Linden.  login.agni.lindenlab.com currently resolves to an IPv4 address of a host that does log me in to Second Life.  The current address is not either of the two "bad" addresses I had reported.  I'll let my Internet access provider know so they can notify the other SL Residents that called them screaming that they too may un-do the work-around.

I suppose this incident is an example of the perils of "farming out" service infrastructure.  One loses the ability to "lay hands on" things that are misbehaving.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.