High Quality Gun Scripts and Animations?

HSHPrincessofCarlisne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, 

I'm looking for high quality gun scripts; it seems nearly all top gunmakers in SL such as SAC (S.S.O.C. Armament Co.) SHC (Silver Hawk Company) and Ironsight Armaments all use their own proprietary weapon scripts that are used in their products. I haven't been able to find any high quality gun scripts for sale on the marketplace and within in-world stores, and scripts tied with animations that deal with LLCS in particular, one that includes things like particle ejections, muzzle flash, magazines sliding out and and attachments such as a suppressor which can be toggled on and off through a HUD.  I'm looking specifically for a script for a handgun, but scripts for a rifle or a shotgun would be very useful. Filtering through a number of dubious and questionable scripts on the marketplace, the closest thing I can find is the MTA Dual SMG / Pistol Scripts with HUD: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MTA-Dual-SMG-Pistol-Scripts-with-HUD-Case/3077754; but this seems to be very much geared towards an almost strictly dual-wielded submachine gun or machine pistol with a very high-rate of fire. 

Are there any in-world stores that sell such scripts and animations? I'm surprised there isn't anything (that I know of) in the modern weapons community on SL like the ACS Vehicle Operating system that so many professional or even budding, amateur vehicle creators in SL use in their products. The vehicle market on SL seems very well-established, supported and structured for those looking to get into vehicle-making (and I'm not talking about just cars here, PRETTY MUCH ALL VEHICLE TYPES) compared to the more seemingly tight-knit modern gunmaking community. The medieval weapons community has the Unity Maxim meter and its scripts, which very much supports its community creators.

Assuming you already have high quality models and textures, but have limited experience with scripting, and would like to create and sell your products, is hiring a scripter (to create yet another very possibly proprietary script) the only option?

I would appreciate some suggestions and helpful, friendly advice; let me know if there are any such scripts and people in the community to help me out.

- Charlotte Sinclair

SAC_18C_Poster_01_LLCS.jpg

Edited by LottaSinclair

Not to discourage you, but I think one of the reasons you're not finding much is that specific and 'accurate' graphical effects require a lot of tuning and build-specific adjustment.

Just as an example, I could see "muzzle flash" implemented either as a particle effect, or as an invisible face that's quickly changed in transparency. A standardized script would need to either make several implementation decisions like that, which would impose restrictions on how you build and UV map your model, or it would need a very large menu of toggle-able options, which still wouldn't work for 100% of design scenarios.

When you work with a scripter, it's (or at least should be) more than them just writing you a script that makes your gun work, but more of a back and forth process where you brainstorm different methods of getting each visual effect to work, making tradeoffs between what's easiest for the mesher or for the scripter, deciding what places are important enough to allow a little inefficiency for the sake of spectacle etc. etc.

• Like 1

Yeah, I really think it's the only way - most of them are worth their weight in gold... or try learning for yourself!

Not to mention that the appeal is in % per sale for scripters - selling their scripts to a few gun creators makes a lot less L$ than a percentage of a weapons outlets sales, so it's probably why we don't see much community script content.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.