What is a Legacy sim?

Rabid Cheetah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I've looked everywhere to try to figure out what that is.  I have a few ideas of what the term means, vis-a-vis Mainland, but I figured I'd ask here for a more definite answer.

The word "legacy" in Second Life has been used for so many contradictory things that it's utterly meaningless. 

• Like 2

There are sixteen specific legacy sim regions in SL, dating as far back as November 2002. These were collectively known as the "San Francisco Regions", as they were the very first sixteen regions of Linden World (later called Second Life) and are all named after streets and alleys of the real San Francisco, where Linden Labs was first established by its founder and first CEO, Philip Rosedale on Linden Street. The sixteen regions are to be found neighbouring each other in the northwest of Sansara continent, at;

1. Da Boom (regarded as SL's "oldest sim". It has world map grid co-ordinates of 1000,1000 too and is also regarded as the "centre" of SL. Go to the 0,0 southwest corner in Da Boom to stand on the exact centre and oldest place in Second Life!) 

2. Ritch (SL's second oldest sim)

3. Zoe (SL's third oldest sim)

4. Stanford (first of the four original "Outlands" sim regions, where combat was once allowed and health meters were active. A huge perimeter wall encircled the four Outlands regions and remnants of the perimeter wall can still be found around the four Outlands sims today)

5. Federal (second of the four original "Outlands" sim regions. See Hawthorne and Shipley for the other two.)

6. Freelon

7. Minna

8. Natoma (SL's record continually longest rezzed object lives here; the Man Statue, a historic relic preserved from a test town that was temporarily rezzed in Natoma during the Alpha test phase of SL. Natoma was also formerly used as the first Resident Welcome Area region and had freebie item shops.  Natoma is now home to the Ivory Tower prim museum and building sandbox.

9. Taber

10. Welsh (SL's first and oldest Resident (Steller Sunshine) lived here and decorated it with her famous giant Beanstalk.  Steller also created a large mansion for the Linden's to use for their meetings inworld.  The mansion, now known as the Governor's Mansion is preserved on a mountain top in nearby Clementina region)

11. Clyde

12. Hawthorne (third of the four original "Outlands" sim regions)

13. Shipley (fourth of the four original "Outlands" sim regions)

14. Clara

15. Varney (formerly home to the Varney Boardwalk, a strip of early Resident shops)

16. Stillman (former home of Yadni Monde's Junkyard, although Yadni's Bazaar has been preserved by LL. Stillman has the impressive Castle Blackmoor in it too, along with the Stillman Giant Bears)

13511i0F06B6978FF33B84.jpg

The sixteen regions were arranged in the shape of a key.  These sixteen regions all still exist and have been surrounded by younger later sim regions.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, that's what I thought.  That said, I've seen it used to describe regions that are not the original sixteen.  For example, "Land and water, legacy sim Icewater (176, 26) 2048m" is the name of a parcel for sale at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Icewater/174/28/24 74914885_legacy1.thumb.png.bdd6b8e477e9de5b9f81625043abb66f.png

Now, this might just be a sales technique, calling it a legacy sim.  Or the seller could be confused, thinking it is a legacy sim -- I've certainly made some mistakes in my own parcel sale descriptions, such as thinking I had a 4x protected parcel when it was really just surrounded by Abandoned Land.  Or they could be using the term differently, hence my starting this thread.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Thanks, that's what I thought.  That said, I've seen it used to describe regions that are not the original sixteen.  For example, "Land and water, legacy sim Icewater (176, 26) 2048m" is the name of a parcel for sale at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Icewater/174/28/24 74914885_legacy1.thumb.png.bdd6b8e477e9de5b9f81625043abb66f.png

Now, this might just be a sales technique, calling it a legacy sim.  Or the seller could be confused, thinking it is a legacy sim -- I've certainly made some mistakes in my own parcel sale descriptions, such as thinking I had a 4x protected parcel when it was really just surrounded by Abandoned Land.  Or they could be using the term differently, hence my starting this thread.

That particular area is down in one of Second Life's many rabbit holes - namely, it's on a privately-developed group of regions attached to the Mainland. There were a couple of clusters off/attached to the west coast of Sansara way back in the very early years of Second Life. As I was saying about the word "legacy" in Second Life...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.