lag

rbecca Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My experience was when SL moved content off users computers to SL server, I thnk out of paranoia someone was gonna steal.  There were tools to go though the cache at the time.  Lag went from non existant to unbearable.  And its never been playable since.  Textures that were public domain were suddendly copyrighted and old builds would no longer rez.  Someone was a dick.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

On 10/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, rbecca Oh said:

My experience was when SL moved content off users computers to SL server, I thnk out of paranoia someone was gonna steal.  There were tools to go though the cache at the time.  Lag went from non existant to unbearable.  And its never been playable since.  Textures that were public domain were suddendly copyrighted and old builds would no longer rez.  Someone was a dick.

1. Content was never stored on users machines, it has always been stored on the server and then sent to the client so it can render it - otherwise the content wouldn't exist if the user was off line.
  2. The viewers local cache has gotten more complicated, but it's still doing the same job it always has.
  3. There is a difference between public domain content and copyrighted textures dumped into SL and then used everywhere .. you're thinking of the textures from games like half life2, ubiquitous in many early SL builds, but never public domain.
  4. The dick was the person who uploaded someone else's content and figured if they gave it away for free it would be somehow ok, that's not how intellectual property works.
  5. None of these things have anything to do with lag.
  6. If you have specific issues please be specific with the symptoms and people here will fall over themselves to help you out with well understood technical solutions.
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.