One Location : Two Regions?

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone! (If this is in the wrong forum, apologies ahead of time!)

I’m toying with the idea of building a theatre on the mainland and wanted to ask a quick question about servers and lag.

My plan is to build the venue across a region border - with the audience on one side in one region and the stage on the other side in a neighboring region.

My guess is that it will reduce lag for the performers & things happening on the stage because they are in a different region than the audience - and that the show will seem smoother for the audience because they are watching from a different region.

What do you think? Am I on the right track? 

That has been done and to the best of my knowledge this worked quite well for keeping lag and other issues down. For one thing, you know how you start rubberbanding when someone TP's in and out of a region? This will not happen on the neighboring region, so your performers will be unaffected by audience member teleporting in and out.

One thing which you would need to solve though is making it so that people can hear you across region borders, either your written text,  your spoken text, or both because AFAIK these do not cross region borders by default.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

One thing which you would need to solve though is making it so that people can hear you across region borders, either your written text,  your spoken text, or both because AFAIK these do not cross region borders by default.

Huh, I thought they did both(or at least text) cross by default, but there are options to make them not cross. . .

FWIW llDialog also crosses regions, but the specifics of when you can and cannot get a dialog box are quite wonky (IIRC, you can get a dialog pop-up from anything currently rendered by your viewer.)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.