Making Avatar Homes

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do any of you ever furnish homes for particular avatars?  I've been in SL a long time, and some of my and my partner's alts very much grew their own personalities over the years.  In fact, some of them are "related" to each other - we have a bit of a backstory, lol.  And now in Belli, I sometimes find that I'm furnishing homes for one or more of them, specifically.

If so, I'd love to see such homes.  I always enjoyed seeing @RaeLeeH 's posts about her family in Belli.  I see that her Belli home is still there, down the street from Cee & Litta :)

By way of explaining the home I'm showing here, a little background:  Right now IRL I'm engaged in selling a long-time family home, and this morning I realized that I have just created a long-time family home in SL!  Therapeutic compensation of some sort, I guess :)  It really is kinda comforting to spend a little time each day in this pixel heirloom.

This is Lost Caves Lighthouse.  The story of this home will take a few posts, and I hope that will encourage others to take as much space as they like to tell their avatars' home's stories.

261672119_Shadowsbrightday2.thumb.jpg.d484a83ed9d237038ceffffe1801468b.jpg

• Like 9

(Lost Caves continued)

The Right Honorable Justice Venerable Broome (ret) and his ward (long ago grown up), Ntika, came upon this place several years ago (we'll say).  Though it was rundown, they fell in love with it immediately.  Like so many other Log Homes, it is sited very pleasantly, offset from a bend in the road, down a little hill where the moles considerately left a space wide enough to drive through (and we leave free prims to rez our many vehicles). The bank of woodland on that hill forms a lovely view from the Lincoln's large windows.

2106028430_lostcaves_00250.jpg.613cec6624424bcb12b76924f0b6a659.jpg

Ntika is a quiet sort of person who enjoys nature.  She has insisted that we leave the landscaping much as we found it, so the home sits in sort of a meadow.  Justice Broome gave her a finishing-school type of education, and she enjoys reading out by the frog pond, taking time out to watch the hummingbirds play in the flowers, and hoping to see a deer step out from behind a bush.

1028091315_Lostcavesfrog_00175.thumb.jpg.83ad9316310ba407afa6f191fe0bd826.jpg

Behind her, you can see a small lighthouse.  It was dilapidated when they bought the property and they at first thought it was just a garden folly, but closer looks revealed an old, yellowed fresnel lens and rusted machinery.  They decided that, over time, they would restore it.  That restoration has finally been completed recently.

But before any restorations, they settled in.  We see their portraits over the fireplace, which Venerable built with his own hands.  Ntika is a baker, and there's usually some sort of fresh pastry to munch on.

[Incidentally, in the far right of the above pic you can see the 2nd entrance that the Lincoln home offers.  The small room there is often used as a dining room, but Ven and Ntika share a desk and workbench there, and a hall tree provides a little mud room area.  They found some rather awful linoleum to protect the floor.  There's also the world's smallest half bath.]

157249501_LostCavesLivingroom_00250.jpg.f2a771652a6e40002c5fbca58000d777.jpg

Nowadays, most of the work around the place is done by other family members.  Upstairs, in the bedroom, young'uns replaced some of Ven's old furniture with a new couch & chair, but left Ven's trunk that he picked up in Tibet, and his old sleigh bed and linen cabinet.  Steampunk-y niece Rossi & her husband, Martini, brought over a brand new wood-fired hot tub and, tearing out the mossy benches on the bedroom balcony, plunked it down.  Ven objected strenuously, but can often be found soaking blissfully as the sun sets.

Nephew Cee brought over the mustang metal sculpture, which once graced the exterior of his ranch estate in Leporis (a region in the extensive desert in the old, sprawling Azure Estates continent).  (The sculpture was made in 2008 by Jon Ree, who nowadays creates the lists of rez zones and "places of interest" that are such an asset to Bellisserians).

1050773035_lostcavesbedroom_001cropped50.jpg.25b24b3659a90951aeaafff2f88863ec.jpg

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

(Lost Caves fini)

Relatives will often drop by early in the morning, while Ven is still snoring and fog still blankets the windows, and quietly make some bacon and eggs to fuel their planned work around the place.

65711927_LostCaveskitchen_00150.jpg.7413cb3d4ad4b4965f3d070cb75ff21f.jpg

When she rises, Ntika will usually throw open lots of windows.  Sun spills across the dining room set that Venerable brought from the old country, and sounds and breezes from both the pine woods and ocean below sweep through the house.

1693252700_LostCavesDining_002contrast50.jpg.f4593984d2b581f56d0c2b3647c3086f.jpg

At the end of a long day, Cee's wife Litta likes to stretch out by the fire and watch the fireflies while moonlight shadows grow.  The lighthouse sweeps slowly back and forth until morning, guiding Lost Caves stilt home sailors home.

783536146_Lostcaveshammockmoonrises_012.thumb.jpg.c54d47c9d2a760af9326f534c4d6cd51.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Becca_001.thumb.png.c030d3078e3c49264044160c8d11f192.png

I don't have my own home any more, as Auntie Rabid tiered down again.  At one point I lived in a cheap apartment by the sea, but they kicked me out for being a bad influence on Becca.  And I didn't even spray paint graffiti on the outside of the houses there, like I did with my Linden Home when I had one!

333481369_punkemoji2.jpg.46c1afae658b167a7ccd0c5e973f2b2d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.