Catznip Mac testers wanted !

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We've just put out Catznip R13 RC1 including, our first ever public Mac test version.

We would very much appreciate anyone running OSX, real hardware or hackintosh, x86 or M1, shiny new or older, giving it a whirl and letting us know how it went.

What hardware are you on? (if stock apple, model numbers & OS version would be appreciated, if not stock .. what's different?).

If you're able to hop over the fence and run Windows on the same hardware, how does the Windows RC compare on the same hardware?

How does it compare to your regular viewer with similar settings?

What essential OSX specific stuff are we missing?

Any and all help & feedback would be very much appreciated, we barely have enough hardware to build the viewer and confirm that it runs.

https://get.catznip.com/downloads/beta

Edit to add, we can also be reached on our discord https://discord.com/invite/rxKQMG7

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gave it a quick whirl on an iMac 2017 with Radeon Pro 575 4 GB, 24 GB memory and 3,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, and it felt as responsive as, if not faster, than most of the Mac viewers out there, so a very good start. Noticeably it rezzed the scene within seconds compared to other viewers (including the SL one) which can take minutes to drag down enough textures to make the avatar decloud and the scene to shift from grey to textured.

One thing was that it did not seem to retrieve inventory till you clicked on each inventory folder, which would pause/hesitate a bit before the number of items in each folder was displayed. 

I see from the Info.plist that the deployment target is macOS 10.9, which also the SL viewer is compiled to, but that is just crazy old, and you will get sub-optimal performance because of that. At a minimum you should set target to 10.12 and even that is getting old as minimum supported system version from Apple now is 10.14, which will change to 10.15 in a few weeks time. 

Setting the target higher will produce more deprecation messages during build, but that is just the reality of things to come.

I'll test it on a 2012 MacBook Pro, a 2013 Mac PRO and a 2020 Mac mini M1 and see how it performs. 

• Thanks 1

Running great on the Mac Pro with 3.5 Ghz 6-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB memory, AMD Firepro D500 3GB and macOS 11.5.2 (Big Sur).

The iMac tested above runs macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina)

Struggling a bit more on the M1 Mac mini with the same settings as on the two machines above, but that is to be expected given it is running on macOS 12.0 beta 5 (Monterey) which is full of debugging code. It also runs under Rosetta2 emulation, and the GPU - while being a significant improvement over previous Mac minis, is not exactly stellar. 

Macbook Pro 2012 with macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) and 2.3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7, 16 GB memory and NVIDIA Geforce GT 650M 512 MB was struggling more but that is to be expected given the rather weak GPU. The texture memory was also as default set to 512 MB. Lowering this to 384 MB improved frame rates a bit, but only became useable with shadows turned off.  Since this machine don't have a Retina display, turning off HDPT improved framerates a bit more. 

All the above was tested with a viewer window size of 1680 x 1050. Mesh objects quality set to lowest High setting and Shadows turned on. 

I'd say this is overall a GREAT start! 

• Thanks 1

A little late here, but here goes (this is on the latest beta, .v8)

MacBook Air 2020 with M1 chip, running Big Sur 11.5.2, on Wifi with good internet access.

I'm getting FPS of about 17 to 20 on the ground at my Linden Stilt Home.

And I am getting about 70-75  FPS on my sky platform at 2600 on the same parcel.

Graphics preferences: 

• Quality/Speed: High
  • Draw Distance: 128m
  • OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects Enabled
  • Support for HDPI displays enabled
  • Antialiasing: 4X
  • Transparent Water
  • Bump mapping and Shiny
  • Local Lights
  • Water Reflections on All Avatars and Objects
  • Atmospheric Shaders: Sky Low
  • Advanced Lighting Model
  • Ambient Occlusion
  • Shadows: None

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 997 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.