Can Someone Help Me Fix My Second Life (Viewer 2) Problem?

Ava Royce

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I have a problem with my Second Life viewer 2 and I have had this problem since I first downloaded the game on my window 7 computer.

After awhile of playing the game (Mostly for 1-2 hours) the screen on the game will freeze and then say it is not responding, thus it doesn't start working again.

The real problem occurs when I try to exit out of Second Life, when I try to exit out of the window it will not. Making me have to restart my computer each and every time.

I tried everything in order to exit it out such as pushing the exit button and even doing the Ctrl-Alt-Delete method. Nothing works in order to close out the now frozen second life window.

What do I do? Or will I be stuck having to restart my computer each and every time?

5 answers to this question

When it stops responding, does just waiting, and perhaps stopping other running applications, have any effect?

When you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, I'm assuming you then select Start Task Manager? If so, are you then unable for some reason to stop the process (SecondLifeViewer.exe or whatever it's called)?

If you're not running Task Manager, what are you doing when you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

Just want to add a bit. I lean a bit towards Charlottes suggestion. But it could simply be that you run out of memory after 1-2 hours. It is possible (certain?) that the viewer leaks memory. After a while there is a chance you run out - or the viewer run out of what is possible to access - and crash.

If it helps to shut down processes as Griffin points out, you also need to stop any and all SLPlugin processes running.

As a workaround for all of this, try relogging before the viewer crashes.

- Luc -

Hi Ava,

Can you please supply more information on your computer including details of your CPU, graphics card and PSU. Is this a new computer and if not, how old is it?

There are many possible causes for what is happening such as overheating, faulty RAM, failing components or as Luc said, memory leak are the most usual.

To check if your computer is overheating, install a hardware monitor such as CPUID's HW Monitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Play SL for say an hour and  monitor the temperatures your hardware is at. See if you can identify what component is overheating. Check regularly during that period and see is it rising until you crash. Causes could be dust clogging up fans and heatsinks, failing fans or perhaps the thermal compound between your CPU and heatsink needs replacing.

I know where Luc is coming from on the memory leakage angle, this thread http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Second-Life-takes-10GB-of-RAM/td-p/885615 . If you have limited RAM, e.g. 2MB, perhaps this is happening. You can check by leaving the task manager open and watching to see if SL processes are rising inexorably until you crash.

Please report back after checking these possible causes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.