Textures empty when trying to upload a blender file

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

some reason the textures on the mesh appear in the preview but when  try to upload it firestorm says textures are empty.

also i noticed the prims are large for this, I'm not sure how lowering them would work.

39a63bb963d521b2041a38c27d1d3e7a.png

I am not sure how baking works (if better) in the newer version of Blender for SL uploads but I can tell you that:

you need to find "SMOOTH" and change the SHADING to that rather than FLAT which is the default

you can RESIZE the JOINED OBJECT within Blender (best) or you can resize it in the UPLOAD OPTIONS window in the SCALING area. 

If it is going to be a small object the default LOD settings will not work well. There are ways around this but those are for another day :D.  But keep that in mind.

There is no way that this item should cost 62 linden to upload. That in itself tells you there are one or more things wrong and NOT to upload.  So work on this some more and watch some "made for SL" blender tutorials (hopefully with the Blender version you are using).  

If you can get into the beta grid  (not sure how that is working for newcomers now) then that is the place to learn and test. 

We can't tell from just your upload screenshot but you may have just ASSIGNED materials to the model and not UNWRAPPED the model.  

So some steps are missing for you.   Hopefully someone using a new version of Blender can put in some screenshots to help you with the textures part of your problems.

Good luck.  I can't say it gets easier for awhile but eventually it DOES become FUN :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

50 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am not sure how baking works (if better) in the newer version of Blender for SL uploads but I can tell you that:

you need to find "SMOOTH" and change the SHADING to that rather than FLAT which is the default

you can RESIZE the JOINED OBJECT within Blender (best) or you can resize it in the UPLOAD OPTIONS window in the SCALING area. 

If it is going to be a small object the default LOD settings will not work well. There are ways around this but those are for another day :D.  But keep that in mind.

There is no way that this item should cost 62 linden to upload. That in itself tells you there are one or more things wrong and NOT to upload.  So work on this some more and watch some "made for SL" blender tutorials (hopefully with the Blender version you are using).  

If you can get into the beta grid  (not sure how that is working for newcomers now) then that is the place to learn and test. 

We can't tell from just your upload screenshot but you may have just ASSIGNED materials to the model and not UNWRAPPED the model.  

So some steps are missing for you.   Hopefully someone using a new version of Blender can put in some screenshots to help you with the textures part of your problems.

Good luck.  I can't say it gets easier for awhile but eventually it DOES become FUN :D. 

b

i read something on unwrapping textures but it didnt explain it that well. i cant remember what texture tutorial i followed but i used this panel, and on base color inserted a texture with the image option

f08bf99a1d1c26b912757d4391d62f60.png

24 minutes ago, Saijito said:

i read something on unwrapping textures but it didnt explain it that well. i cant remember what texture tutorial i followed but i used this panel, and on base color inserted a texture with the image option

f08bf99a1d1c26b912757d4391d62f60.png

I still use Blender 2.79 so someone using the newer will need to help you with the steps. I don't normally reply here any more but it was obvious you needed a bit of guidance. Lots of great folks here than can help. Just be patient; the mesh board isn't all that active these days. 

6 hours ago, Saijito said:

some reason the textures on the mesh appear in the preview but when  try to upload it firestorm says textures are empty.

Perhaps you will find the answer in this earlier thread https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/451310-blender-282-not-exporting-texture/?tab=comments#comment-2264378

Unless you have a very good reason for uploading the texture along with the mesh it is usually better to upload the texture separately and then apply it to the model once it it rezzed inworld just like you would add a texture to a SL prim cube.

If you are only testing how the texture will look on your model inworld there is the possibility  to use the Local option which loads up your texture directly from your PC instead of your SL inventory. This will saves you paying the L$10 for each texture upload while still in the testing phase and has the advantage that it will automatically update every time you save your texture. The disadvantage is that only you can see the texture inworld.

Screenshot_2-min.thumb.png.ddb4948d531c829cf5bfbea450267339.png

SL Wiki Local textures :   http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Rolig_Loon/Local_Textures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.