Problem with Avatar(s) in SL Viewer but not Firestorm.

Saxeharp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Strange happenings.  I am running Second Life on two computers, with 4 different avatars, two premiums and two ordinary.  One of my common activities is going into Grimly's Combat System (GCS) Zombie sims to chop zombies.  I use both SL Viewer and Firestorm, but prefer SLV.  A couple of weeks ago I noticed that on one of my computers (my gaming desktop) when using SLV in GCS, my avatars have had the following problems.  I can load all weapons and move around but my weapons do not function.  I move the avi by hitting my arrow keys, and normally the weapon "fires" each time I step.  When I log into SL by using Firestorm, all avi's work as per normal on both computers in Grimly's.  Yesterday when I logged in to SL using SLV on my "working" computer (laptop), I was notified that there was an upgrade being installed.  When I subsequently logged into a GCS sim, I found that my avi's on this computer were behaving in the same manner as on the desktop computer.

I've downloaded SLV on each computer, doing an uninstall and re-install, keeping only the bare essential files, but this seems to have had little effect, save that immediately upon entering a GCS sim with one of my avi's yesterday, it worked perfectly, but when I changed weapons, the system reverted to its non-working state.

Is this a known problem?  It only seems to occur with SLV, and not Firestorm.

Thanks in advance

"Saxeharp"

It seems you have found a viewer problem. If I understood, both computers had the same behavior. The viewers and version of viewers behaved differently.

I suggest you talk with other players in your GCS group to see if they are having the same issue. This may be a problem with the GCS game system and some update to the SL system that has not propagated to the 3rd party viewers.

You can also try using one of the maintenance release candidate viewers for a test. Get them here. You can click the viewer links and read the release notes to see what is fixed in that release. One of these may solve your problem. These candidates install in separate folders. So,  your main SLV install will not be messed up nor will they conflict with each other.

If the problem persists in all the SLV versions file a JIRA Bug Report. The better you write up the details the faster it will get fixed. Provided it is a viewer problem.

On 4/14/2021 at 6:26 PM, Saxeharp said:

I can load all weapons and move around but my weapons do not function.  I move the avi by hitting my arrow keys, and normally the weapon "fires" each time I step.

It could be a trigger throttle as well in the the SL Viewer. You are technically spamming a trigger response from the weapon as soon as you engage in movement control. Do you have any other notifications or warnings when this behavior occurs?

Edited by Hunter Stern

• 1 month later...

The problem seems to have been solved.  It appears (and I use that word advisedly) to have have occurred when I used Firestorm.  Yesterday I was using SLV and in trying to track down the problem I went into the "preferences>control"* panel and in "walk to" action under "Primary control" it said LMB.  I don't recall having seen this before or can't guess what it means ("Lock mouse" something(?)).  However I deleted these letters and everything returned to normal in SLV.  I then changed computers and found the same problem was still extant, so I took the same action, and achieved the same result.

*I haven't looked in every nook and cranny but this feature doesn't appear to be in Firestorm. 

Thanks to those who replied to my question.

Saxeharp

2 hours ago, Saxeharp said:

The problem seems to have been solved.  It appears (and I use that word advisedly) to have have occurred when I used Firestorm.  Yesterday I was using SLV and in trying to track down the problem I went into the "preferences>control"* panel and in "walk to" action under "Primary control" it said LMB.  I don't recall having seen this before or can't guess what it means ("Lock mouse" something(?)).  However I deleted these letters and everything returned to normal in SLV.  I then changed computers and found the same problem was still extant, so I took the same action, and achieved the same result.

*I haven't looked in every nook and cranny but this feature doesn't appear to be in Firestorm. 

Thanks to those who replied to my question.

Saxeharp

LMB is Left Mouse Button, so perhaps you had settings changed inadvertently? But LMB is a trigger also click and point. I don't think settings are brought over to the FS (or other viewers) from SL official viewer and generally set to a basic default.

Edited by Hunter Stern
langauage in foreign typonese

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.