I can’t get the LI down for this object, can anyone help?

anitabush

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been guilty of using SL to generate LODs until now so I’m trying to be a better person and make them properly. However I’m having real trouble with my first attempt and I cannot work out how to get the LI down on this flower. It’s one half of a flower and vase so as it stands the whole item would be 3-4 LI I’d guess which seems like way to much for a small ornament. I feel like there must be something fundamentally wrong with my mesh?

This was created as three objects in blender, the leaf, flower and stem. I joined the meshes together and baked the texture to one uv map so this is now one object with one texture. The lowest LOD is butchered down to as few tris as possible while still looking like the same flower but I still can’t get the LI down.

My only other thought is using imposter textures at the lowest LOD but even following the guides here I keep getting errors stopping me uploading so that will need many more head scratching hours.

Can anyone shed any light on why the LI might be so high for so few tris?

1952-D690-2-B2-A-4090-80-C2-FEB0-C57-DDC

55 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Low LOD seems to have too many triangles.

@Drongle McMahon came up with many graphs about how the size of the object affect the "importance" of different LODs:

38269i9D3CD168CE97B103.png

Thank you that’s really useful, I wondered how people managed to get stuff with far more tris down to low LI

20 hours ago, anitabush said:

Thank you that’s really useful, I wondered how people managed to get stuff with far more tris down to low LI

There are a lot of different tricks and techniques but the basic idea is to determine exactly which tris are necessary for each LoD level.

You don't mention how large this flower is but it's obviously much larger than an RL one and, as Wulfie said, in the range where the Low LoD model is the most important one for LI.

I don't know exactly how this mesh is made either but if it's the way I think it is, you shuold be able to get the low LoD model down to 32 tris - four for each petals, four for the leaf and two for the stem. That should be more than enough to reduce the LI down to 1.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ChinRey said:

There are a lot of different tricks and techniques but the basic idea is to determine exactly which tris are necessary for each LoD level.

You don't mention how large this flower is but it's obviously much alrger than an RL one and, as Wulfie said, in the range where the Low LoD model is the most important one for LI.

I don't know exactly how this mesh is made either but if it's the way I think it is, you shuold be able to get the low LoD model down to 32 tris - four for each petals, four for the leaf and two for the stem. That should be more than enough to reduce the LI down to 1.

It’s about ankle height I guess so yes a bit bigger than RL and I might be able to reduce the size a little. Thank you, I’ll work on getting the low model down in tris.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1199 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.