Group Permissions on the land

RoloTomari

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, 

I've seen so many articles on this topic, many conflicting, and I still haven't found out the proper way to set things up at my parcel in particular when it comes to rezzing permissions. I have a 4K parcel (1/16th) and it is a public hangout area. So I would like to configure it so that the group role permissions apply on the land. So as to allow some roles to rez and the rest of the people to not be allowed to rez.

I have tried owning the land and just add the group via Set and 2nd I have tried deeding the land to the group.

In the 1st case the "About Land" options work and apply to everyone so the group role permissions are ignored. So when I set the "Build" to "Group" then people can rez irrespective if they are in a role that allows that or not.

In the 2nd case, the whole group becomes in effect an owner and the group role permissions are again ignored.

What settings do I need to have so that permissions are controlled by the group role tab?

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Rolo 

If you have the land deeded to group, I'd leave it that way because you get a little "bonus" tier to play with. It does mean some specific scripted items will need to be deeded to group, but those are few and far between (finicky stuff like prim counters, parcel media/audio controllers, etc.).

To the actual question: the trick is to DISABLE Group build permission on the parcel, and only allow some of the group's Roles to have the Ability to "Always allow 'Create Objects'" (thus overriding the parcel's own setting). Try that and see if it's what you had in mind.

• Like 2

In the 'Option' tab of the 'About land' window you need set build permissions to Group only. In your group's profile, in the 'Roles' tab, for your selected role, scroll down to 'Parcel Powers and there's the option to 'Always allow Create Objects' that you use to set permissions for that role. You have to remember to click 'Save' to save your changes

1 hour ago, RoloTomari said:

Hello everyone, 

I've seen so many articles on this topic, many conflicting, and I still haven't found out the proper way to set things up at my parcel in particular when it comes to rezzing permissions. I have a 4K parcel (1/16th) and it is a public hangout area. So I would like to configure it so that the group role permissions apply on the land. So as to allow some roles to rez and the rest of the people to not be allowed to rez.

I have tried owning the land and just add the group via Set and 2nd I have tried deeding the land to the group.

In the 1st case the "About Land" options work and apply to everyone so the group role permissions are ignored. So when I set the "Build" to "Group" then people can rez irrespective if they are in a role that allows that or not.

In the 2nd case, the whole group becomes in effect an owner and the group role permissions are again ignored.

What settings do I need to have so that permissions are controlled by the group role tab?

Thanks you in advance for your help.

Rolo 

You have to set up the roles inside the group.

You can turn off "everyone build" on the land, but there may be times when you want people to rez for brief moments before autoreturn, say, if you have horses to ride or something.

The group roles can be calibrated to allow building or not

You're coming close to finding the bug that Lindens insist is a feature, for which I was banned from the JIRA.

But that need not concern you. I believe in roles, not groups, to govern land use.

You can open the group to "everyone" but turn off build. They can join and not build.

Or open the group to everyone to build right away.

Then have another role, "resident" who can turn build off for everyone, and his group role overrides that so he can rez but not non-group members or even casual joiners without resident status.

So study the roles and how they work, step by step, and check off the boxes accordingly.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:18 PM, Qie Niangao said:

If you have the land deeded to group, I'd leave it that way because you get a little "bonus" tier to play with. It does mean some specific scripted items will need to be deeded to group, but those are few and far between (finicky stuff like prim counters, parcel media/audio controllers, etc.).

To the actual question: the trick is to DISABLE Group build permission on the parcel, and only allow some of the group's Roles to have the Ability to "Always allow 'Create Objects'" (thus overriding the parcel's own setting). Try that and see if it's what you had in mind.

Hi Qie,

Thank you for your reply. Does this work only when the land is deeded to the particular group? 

I tried what you describe without deeding and doesn't seem to work with just a "Set" group.

1 hour ago, RoloTomari said:

Hi Qie,

Thank you for your reply. Does this work only when the land is deeded to the particular group? 

I tried what you describe without deeding and doesn't seem to work with just a "Set" group.

Ah, I had to test, it's been so long since I've owned any land that's not group-deeded that anybody else is supposed to build on... and you're right, group-set land isn't allowing group members with that Ability to rez (but it does seem to behave as expected on group-deeded land).

One thing to note: If a group member's Role is changed, it doesn't really take effect until they change to a different group and then back again. Makes testing this stuff a real exercise.

In my testing now I couldn't restrict build on group-set land to only those members with specific Abilities. If I enable Group build on the parcel, everybody in the group seems to be able to rez regardless of Ability (which is as I expected; what I did not expect was that disabling group build on the group-set parcel also prevents build by members with that Ability, as noted).

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Ah, I had to test, it's been so long since I've owned any land that's not group-deeded that anybody else is supposed to build on... and you're right, group-set land isn't allowing group members with that Ability to rez (but it does seem to behave as expected on group-deeded land).

One thing to note: If a group member's Role is changed, it doesn't really take effect until they change to a different group and then back again. Makes testing this stuff a real exercise.

In my testing now I couldn't restrict build on group-set land to only those members with specific Abilities. If I enable Group build on the parcel, everybody in the group seems to be able to rez regardless of Ability (which is as I expected; what I did not expect was that disabling group build on the group-set parcel also prevents build by members with that Ability, as noted).

Qie, thank you so much for taking the time to do these tests. I appreciate it. It really shouldn't be that complicated in theory :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.