Need help with 24 hour day winter atmosphere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, I'm either a bit dim and/or impatient, but I couldn't figure out how to have a 24 hour day EEP with sun up, sun down, night, etc. that also has the setting of 'foggy' that I like, I guess when you choose a setting like  'foggy', thats the name of the windlight, it overrides the natural setting of the sun going up and under.

So it seems like either my sim is 24 hours Foggy or have realistic sun movements but I want both!

Could someone explain to this eejit how I can have a setting that looks like it's winter, nice cold light, bit foggy perhaps, like the already existing setting called  'foggy', AND a realistic 24 hour setting with sun rise, noon, sun set, night, etc.?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jo Yardley said:

Ok, I'm either a bit dim and/or impatient, but I couldn't figure out how to have a 24 hour day EEP with sun up, sun down, night, etc. that also has the setting of 'foggy' that I like, I guess when you choose a setting like  'foggy', thats the name of the windlight, it overrides the natural setting of the sun going up and under.

So it seems like either my sim is 24 hours Foggy or have realistic sun movements but I want both!

Could someone explain to this eejit how I can have a setting that looks like it's winter, nice cold light, bit foggy perhaps, like the already existing setting called  'foggy', AND a realistic 24 hour setting with sun rise, noon, sun set, night, etc.?

You will need to adapt "foggy" to a day cycle.    If you have a foggy WINDLIGHT setting rather than EEP  (that should be in the free Windlight box in the marketplace) you will need one. 

This page explains the basics.  Hopefully that will help.  Also if it is about EEP then best to post in the official EEP thread since those are the folks that know something LOL.

https://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2020/08/windlight-to-eep-making-day-cycle.html

I'm likewise very stumped about Day Cycles (in Firestorm). When I load a Day Cycle into my parcel, it never seems to actually progress and change through all the sky settings that are in the Day Cycle. Everything stays static and frozen at one Sky setting.  Even when I manually drag a Day Cycle object from an EEP pack onto the "Ground" setting under "Sky Altitudes", the little graphic chicklet there doesn't change to show the sun/moon graphic indicating a Day Cycle at Ground Level. 

I've tried loading the Day Cycle into my parcel by right-clicking the Day Cycle object itself and choosing "Apply to Parcel". I've tried loading the day cycle from the About Land > Environment tab and choosing "Use Inventory" to load that Day Cycle object.  And yes, I've used World > Environment > Use Shared Environment to make sure I don't have any Lighting overrides or manual windlights/EEP scenes loaded.

It really doesn't help that the FS UI for Edit Day Cycle truncates the name of the Day Cycle and individual EEP objects to only like 32 characters or less. If you buy an EEP pack from some vendor (like The Rebakery), you can never easily confirm the loaded EEP setting in any individual keyframe.

Nothing seems to consistently and obviously work to make the Day Cycle on my parcel actually cycle and move the sun/moon around. I somehow managed ONE TIME to get it to work in both my viewer and my partner's viewer, but somehow broke everything after that and now the sky's just static all the time again. I'm beginning to wonder if FS is just bugged all to hell regarding EEP and I'm beating my head against the wall for nothing. It's VERY frustrating. Any ideas or tips?

EDIT:  Unless...   In the About Land dialog, if I set my "Day Offset" value to 0.0, I do see shadows finally begin to move as if a Day cycle were actually occurring?  Is it really as simple as "If Day Offset is non-zero, then the Day Cycle is frozen at that offset, so you'll only get a real Day Cycle if you ensure that the Day Offset for the parcel is exactly 0.0"? If this is how it works, then the FS crew should make that REALLY clear in the tool tips and in the wiki/docs for FS.  Because there are a TON of regions throughout the grid that will set the Day Offset to a specific non-zero value and leave it stuck there even if you subsequently load an EEP Day Cycle.

Edited by Devin Heartsong
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.