"Root prim" for Maitreya auto feet/shoes? Seeking help ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Maitreya auto foot thing says to place a script and attributes card in the "root prim" of your shoe object (one only, if two separate shoes) so that you foot automatically changes to the correct height. 

What's a root prim, and how do I find that in the shoe object? (I do know what to put there when I find it!)

If your shoes are no-mod, you have to place it into a separate prim. What I do is create a prim and put the script in it. Then, I attach the prim to a HUD attachment point and move it off screen. Some make the prim transparent. There's no reason to, if you wear it as a HUD, and making it a bright color makes it easier to work with.

If your shoes are modifiable, you can just put it into the shoes themselves and save an attachment point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An object that consists of multiple linked parts is called a "linkset".  The root prim of any linkset will show up highlighted in yellow when you select the object. When linking a number of prims to form a linkset, the LAST prim selected becomes the root prim.  An easy way to control this is to select all the prims, then de-select the one you want to be the root prim and add it back to the selection with CTRL+left click.

Being able to select a specific prim as the root prim is very useful.  The rotation center of an object is at the center of its root prim.  The object's coordinates are calculated from that center. By putting the root prim on your parcel, a landscaping object that's linked to it can be placed off-sim, enlarging your apparent area. Putting the root prim in the right place can make editing an attachment on your body easier (or harder, if it's in the wrong place).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1386 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.