Possible scam on MarketPlace

BibiMeow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I purchased this https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Police-Bike-Please-Review/8457670 from the MarketPlace expecting to receive the bike mentioned in the description.

Instead I got a banner which upon clicking stated I would be paying myself for the bike. Sadly I was dumb enough to click it, I paid myself the amount then another amount was sent to a third party as some tax concept or something like that, it happened too fast.

The new purchase from the banner did deliver an item still not the bike so in the end I lost around $950L and still no item.

I've been looking around but I can't find a way to submit a ticket or complain, please help. :(

6 answers to this question

OK, an update to my previous post.  Please do NOT report the seller of this item.  I bought one to check, and it's just fine.  You have simply misunderstood what you got.

The package consists of a number of items.  The first is a Readme note.  Then there are several sizes of affiliate vendors.  If you rez one of these, it will ask for permission to take $L from your account*.  This is because it is a vendor...a machine that lets people buy the creator's products.  If you rez one on your land, you'll get 5% of any sales.  If you pay it for something yourself, you'll get the item, and you'll get a 5% discount.  But none of this is required, or has anything to do with your bike.  It's just a way for the seller to make more sales, and for you to (maybe) make a little money from them. 

The actual bike is the LAST item in the list.  When you rez it, it will appear as a large motorcycle trailer.  This is a box, which you must right click and Open.  Copy the contents to your inventory.  There are several copies of the bike in different liveries.  Drag one from your inventory to rez it.

If the above is NOT what you received, contact the seller and explain the situation.  I am sure he'll be happy to work with you.

*NOTE: These particular affiliate vendors appear to me to be legitimate.  It should be safe to rez them and give them the permission they ask for.  However, be VERY CAREFUL of items, especially free gifts from strangers, that ask for this permission when rezzed or worn.  This is often used as a scam.  Once you give an object the permission to debit your account, it can take ALL YOUR $L, and continue to do so as long as it is rezzed in world.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 6

You did the right first step, by posting a negative review.  You can also click the red flag in the item listing to "Flag" it as a misleading ad, and you can log in world and file an Abuse Report against the seller using the Help > Report Abuse function in your viewer.

Before reporting the seller, be sure to check your $L Transaction History. See who your money was paid to. That is the person, or people, you should be reporting.  That particular seller has been in business for quite a while and has a lot of items for sale.  Most creators are careful not to upset their customers, or they can't stay in business.  The real culprit may be someone else.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Thank you very very much, this is great help and sadness for I did Rez the trailer but despite looking it around, inside and right clicking I was never able to find the items. And as I understand I purchased it again because the 2nd deliver was that same trailer.
I'll log in later to check on this and to correct the Review accordingly.

Let me just say once more you are awesome for taking the time to review this and to write, many many thanks. ^.^

2 minutes ago, BibiMeow said:

I did Rez the trailer but despite looking it around, inside and right clicking

After you rezzed the trailer and right clicked it, on the menu that pops up from the right click, was there an "Open" option?  Choosing that should open another window which then lets you click to copy the contents to your inventory.     

You can't "see" what is in an object except for right clicking it and choosing "Open" or right clicking it, choosing "Edit" and then clicking on the "Contents" tab of the Edit window. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.