Why can I not wear both hair and shoes?

Antlurz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, I'm extremely new to secondlife. Every time I put on a hair, it takes off my shoes, and vise versa. I've tried buying more shoes, more hairs, etc. But the problem continues. I have the Matreya body - and so for the shoes I always use the same shoetype as the body, but my hair always comes off! 

10 answers to this question

"Add" is useful, but not always!

On certain things...system skin, shape, system eyes, and hair base...you can ONLY "Wear" them.  You must always wear one, and only one, of these items.  "Wear" replaces an item with another of the same type, or one that is on the same attachment point.  "Add", on the other hand, adds the new item without removing the old one.

Most mesh items are set to attach to the right hand...the default attachment point for objects.  This is true even for things that don't appear to actually BE on the right hand, like hair and shoes.  Besides using "Add", another solution is to attach things somewhere else.  Once you've done that, and edited the item into its proper position, it will remember its new attachment point the next time you wear it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

"Add" is useful, but not always!

On certain things...system skin, shape, system eyes, and hair base...you can ONLY "Wear" them.  You must always wear one, and only one, of these items.  "Wear" replaces an item with another of the same type, or one that is on the same attachment point.  "Add", on the other hand, adds the new item without removing the old one.

Most mesh items are set to attach to the right hand...the default attachment point for objects.  This is true even for things that don't appear to actually BE on the right hand, like hair and shoes.  Besides using "Add", another solution is to attach things somewhere else.  Once you've done that, and edited the item into its proper position, it will remember its new attachment point the next time you wear it.

Agreed but the items you mentioned also don't give the add option so you couldn't actually add even if you wanted.  I can't recall having to choose another attach point for something.  I have chosen another spot, usually for necklaces that might work better attached to another point.

• Like 2

Mesh clothing is a 3D object.  It almost never is a perfect fit.  So, it also comes with an "alpha mask" item.  The alpha mask hides the parts of your body under the clothes, so you don't poke through and look moth-eaten.

If the clothes are designed for one or more of the mesh bodies, the outfit won't come with an alpha mask*.  Instead, you use the alpha section of your body's HUD to make the parts of you under the clothes invisible.

*To add to the confusion, clothing designed to work with a Bakes on Mesh (BoM) enabled mesh body WILL have an alpha mask.  This works in place of the body's alpha masking HUD.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.