Getting Second Look in Second Life

GretaFantome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a relative newbie.  I'm still confused about files, configs, etc.

I have a Maitreya Lara body that after some trial and error I have a look am reasonably happy with for my every day look.

Now I want to try something more experimental for special occasions.  This would be a new head, different skin applier, different shape settings.  Everyday body is set up as BOM, experimental would be using Omega.

My paralyzing fear is that I will make these changes and then not be able to restore back to my everyday look.

Do I copy the body? HUD? etc. to a different folder?  Rename them?  How would I do this so that I can have two (or more) looks that share the same body?

@GretaFantome Once you have your look, you can save it as an Outfit. And for each different look, save as a new Outfit. See the below thread on how to do this. You can include your skin applier as well to help you remember which one you used, or include its name when naming your outfit.

An alternative is you can write up a list in a notecard for each look, sort of like a style card.

The only thing you need to save a copy of for each look is your Shape (and eyebrow shape if you make changes). Changing your look doesn't change the mesh parts so you don't need to save multiple copies of the mesh body, head, HUD, etc.

14 minutes ago, GretaFantome said:

I'm a relative newbie.  I'm still confused about files, configs, etc.

I have a Maitreya Lara body that after some trial and error I have a look am reasonably happy with for my every day look.

Now I want to try something more experimental for special occasions.  This would be a new head, different skin applier, different shape settings.  Everyday body is set up as BOM, experimental would be using Omega.

My paralyzing fear is that I will make these changes and then not be able to restore back to my everyday look.

Do I copy the body? HUD? etc. to a different folder?  Rename them?  How would I do this so that I can have two (or more) looks that share the same body?

I would create a copy of your everyday head, shape, body, eyes, etc. (all the body parts that make up your everyday setup) and put them in an "Experimental" folder.  As it looks like you might be experimenting with skin appliers, I might make a 'backup' folder with a copy of the setup also, inside the experimental folder, in case the experimental look goes really bad...  If  you're going to be trying out different mesh heads, you will most likely end up with a different shape for each body/head combination.   

If you wear your everyday body setup, nothing should show as being worn in the experimental folder, and vice-versa - that is how you know you mess up the other version's setup as you try different things out.

When you are pasting an item that you copied from another folder, make sure you choose "paste" and not "paste as link", because "paste as link" does not put a separate copy in the new folder - it just links back to the original copy.

Others may different suggestions, but this is how I would approach what it sounds like you want to do.

Good luck, and have fun!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.