Is this graphics card enough?

Maa Kuu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a new laptop, preferably a refurbished one. I've used Lenovo Thinkpads for a long time, and plan to stick with them, if possible.

Photography in SL is something I'd like to focus on, and I would need a laptop with a suitable graphics card so that I can use all the advanced shaders etc. I'm using Firestorm.

I'm looking at used Thinkpad X250 or X260. They have

Intel® HD Graphics 5500

or 

Intel® HD Graphics 520,

respectively. 

Are these graphics cards enough for Firestorm and all the advanced options?

If not, I have the possibility to get a new Thinkpad, E495 that has

integrated AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics. 

That certainly should be enough for SL, or?

thanks for your help

Edited by Maa Kuu
spelling errors

4 answers to this question

None of the mentioned ones are a dedicated GPU. They are all integrated graphics, so more or less part of the CPU.
In short: they will quite likely run SL. But you can scratch off the "all advanced options" part.

The worst should be the low-end 5500. The 520 as its successor seems to strongly depend on the CPU and RAM performance its paired with.

The specific Thinkpad E495 is known as a cheapskirt solution of Lenovo, just to have a Ryzen laptop at the time of release. It comes with a built-in, annoying power limit, and has less than ideal RAM configuration, which severely limits the graphic unit.
In comparison, Notebookcheck suggests to look for a Thinkpad E490 with a real card, a Radeon RX 550x. No idea if that's within your unnamed budget.

But a Thinkpad is generally no gaming rig for shiny graphical fanciness. It always was and probably always will be an office allrounder.

By the "refurbished" comment, I assume that the budget is limited? No chances for a decent desktop? The link in my signature shows a rough guideline for new parts suitable for budget solutions. Well, depending on the budget limits, of course.

Intel's HD Graphics and UHD Graphics will run games. But not well. The system is designed for streaming media. Think movies.

A quick way to figure out which HD Graphics is new and better is to look at the CPU. A i3, i5, or i7 comes in generations, 1 to 11. Each generation has a better graphics engine. You can tell which generation by the chip designator, i5-6600k. This shows it is the i5, a mid-performance model often considered as giving the best price-performance ratio for gaming. The 6600 tells more about the chip with the leading 6 being the generation designator, so 6th gen. The 'k' suffix tells us it can be overclocked.

With even the best UHD Graphics you'll likely run SL on a Medium or Medium-High setting. Above that and you'll likely pull frame rates into the single digit range.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.