Conflicting Layers

Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If come across a problem, that doesn't even make any sense.

I'm using the Maitreya V5.2 body. My avatar wears a tattoo (which is on an appiler, no classic layer exists) and I want to use some skin feature (also an applier, a classic layer does exists). Both go to the upper body. Now I'm putting the tattoo on the tattoo layer and the skin feature on the underwear layer (haven't figured out a "better" way yet). Should work, right? And it does for about two minutes until suddenly half the tattoo vanishes or the skin details vanish or a combination inbetween... its getting on my nerves and I don't understand why this happens or what I can do to fix it. The V4 body did the same, although the false display looked different.

It can't be that this doesn't work. Why would I have the option to have more than one layer in the first place then? 🙁

Edited by Syo Emerald

27 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

If come across a problem, that doesn't even make any sense.

I'm using the Maitreya V5.2 body. My avatar wears a tattoo (which is on an appiler, no classic layer exists) and I want to use some skin feature (also an applier, a classic layer does exists). Both go to the upper body. Now I'm putting the tattoo on the tattoo layer and the skin feature on the underwear layer (haven't figured out a "better" way yet). Should work, right? And it does for about two minutes until suddenly half the tattoo vanishes or the skin details vanish or a combination inbetween... its getting on my nerves and I don't understand why this happens or what I can do to fix it. The V4 body did the same, although the false display looked different.

It can't be that this doesn't work. Why would I have the option to have more than one layer in the first place then? 🙁

What you're seeing is the typical problem with wearing two alpha-blended onion layers on top of each other. With a complicated shape like a body the viewer has difficulty determining what should be in front of what. The only reliable way of wearing two layers on top of each other is for one of them to use alpha masking.

If your skin is BOM compatible this is the perfect application for bakes on mesh. You can wear the skin feature as a tattoo wearable in the skin bake and then the tattoo on removable layer above it. However, if the skin feature has materials you'll need to use an applier to set the materials on the mesh body.

• Like 2

For reference, if both items have to go on applier layers, there are a couple of workarounds.

The first is to set one of the layers to Masked instead of Blend. This probably won't work for a tattoo but it might work for other things.

If not, the other trick is to apply one to the tattoo layer and one to the outer clothing layer, both set to Blend. Then wear the Underwear layer as well, with nothing on it, and set this one to Masked. Having the additional masked layer inbetween the blended ones seems to reduce the glitching, even when its empty. I haven't tried this with Maitreya 5.2 but it worked for me with earlier versions.

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If your skin is BOM compatible this is the perfect application for bakes on mesh. You can wear the skin feature as a tattoo wearable in the skin bake and then the tattoo on removable layer above it. However, if the skin feature has materials you'll need to use an applier to set the materials on the mesh body.

This is why I LOVE BoM! ❤️ You dont need to wear the onion layers for Maitreya and dont need to worry about the blending of alpha layers! Plus your not limited to just 3 layers in the traditional sense with a mesh body (tattoo, underwear, clothes). You can stack what up to 62 layers with BoM if you wanted to? And if you have a conflict of layers just adjust the order in the way they stack up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.