Confusion over UV Maps

Ford Lusch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi All,

I've been trying to do something with a UV Map, or assuming I can do something and after lots of googling and tutorials I am still none the wiser. I'm trying to make a plant with a stem and flowers and I'd assumed that if I created one flower, unwrapped it properly, I could then duplicate it and they would all use the same area of the UV Map. However every time I duplicate it basically puts another layer of the UV area over the existing one on the map.  Is there a way to do this or am I trying to do the impossible, if it can't be done how do people create trees and the like with dozens of identical leaves.

I hope what I'm trying to do makes sense and if anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ford Lusch said:

Hi All,

I've been trying to do something with a UV Map, or assuming I can do something and after lots of googling and tutorials I am still none the wiser. I'm trying to make a plant with a stem and flowers and I'd assumed that if I created one flower, unwrapped it properly, I could then duplicate it and they would all use the same area of the UV Map. However every time I duplicate it basically puts another layer of the UV area over the existing one on the map.  Is there a way to do this or am I trying to do the impossible, if it can't be done how do people create trees and the like with dozens of identical leaves.

I hope what I'm trying to do makes sense and if anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

If I understand you correctly, that is how it works.  When you bake it will bake ONE texture beneath all the layers (say five) that are stacked on top of each other and each flower will use that texture.  The other way you could do things would be to upload the flower separately and then duplicate inworld.   There are pros and cons to each method.  If you flowers will have ambient textures built in then most likely this will not work well. 

Typically I avoid using this method except for things like small hobnails on furniture.   Since you bake would be a combo of all the flowers it will likely look pretty odd.   IF you would be using "tiling textures" on the object and not have any baked shadows or ambient shadows then it would work fine.   Hope that helped a bit. 

• Like 1

Ahhh ok that makes sense now, so even though the layers are stacked they will still pick up the same texture when baked. So as long as I size the UV correctly before joining the stem and the flowers I'll just need to bake onto the one stacked UV map. Thanks for the explanation  as I was sure I was missing something fundamental :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.