SL Secondary Texture Maps Pleeeeease!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would anyone else love to see secondary texture maps introduced to SL? It's getting a little frustrating how far behind our creaky old games engine is lagging when you compare it to modern engines like Unity.  Hands up if you think this upgrade would make a world of difference to the quality of the game environment.

I'm very much for this in principle. Imagine a tiled 256 for basic structure and another not tiled 256 for shading and a few extra details. Far more details than you can get from a 1024 but with only a fraction of the pixel count.

There is one serious problem though: Have you seen how some of the gacha/event sellrs and other lagmeisters abuse the texture options we have today??? Imagine things like two 1024 alphas stacked on top of each other for a shadow prim!

There has to be a way to reward good habits and penalize texture abuse before anything like this can be implemented. Maybe project Arctan will solve this. We'll see but for now at least it's too dangerous.

Btw, welcome to the forum Alex! It's lovely to see another of the few competitors I really respect joining here and I hope we'll hear more from you in the future!

Edited by ChinRey

56 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I'm very much for this in princple. Imagine a tiled 256 for basic structure and another not tiled 256 for shading and a few extra details. Far more details than you can get from a 1024 but with only a fraction of the pixel count.

There is one serious problem though: Have you seen how some of the gacha/event sellrs and other lagmeisters abuse the texture options we have today??? Imagine things like two 1024 alphas stacked on top of each other for a shadow prim!

There has to be a way to reward good habits and penalize texture abuse before anything like this can be implemented. Maybe project Arctan will solve this. We'll see but for now at least it's too dangerous.

Btw, welcome to the forum Alex! It's lovely to see another of the few competitors I really respect joining here and I hope we'll hear more from you in the future!

It really would save tons of time and electricity waiting for bakes to complete for a far superior result

12 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

It really would save tons of time and electricity waiting for bakes to complete for a far superior result

The textures would still have to be baked though, only in realtime, and that's what makes me nervous. Done right it can save not only build time but also render load and streaming cost, allowing much richer and more varied scenarios. But done wrong it's a recipe for disaster.

Edited by ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.