Very new, very confused

Pipfrosch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, just started today. Successfully bought new hair and then when to see if I could buy some shorts I like.

Using FireStorm for Linux.

Found some at some shop called ad[heart]rsy and bought them but can't for the life of me figure out how to wear them, and now everywhere I go, above my avatar name is the phrase "I [heart] ad[heart]rsy which I don't want, I want the shorts I bought. When I try to wear them from inventory, it says (worn on Center 2) and some menu for Belt, Lace, and Metals pops up but selecting colors for them doesn't seem to do anything. Very confused.

3 answers to this question

Okay I figured out how to get the shorts, had to find a sandbox area to unpack the box. Doesn't make sense to me that I have to do that but okay. And I figured out leaving the group got rid of the thing above my avatar name, so I guess this is resolved.

• Like 1

Fellow Linux user here, so HIIII! *waves a penguin back and forth*

Anyway, I have a hard time imagining what you see, could you show us a pic of the menu that pops up and of the contents of the inventory folder. It may help understanding the problem a bit better

(Note that images on the clipboard can also be pasted here, this is handy because you don't end up with loads of single-us pics that way :-))

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pipfrosch said:

Okay I figured out how to get the shorts, had to find a sandbox area to unpack the box. Doesn't make sense to me that I have to do that but okay. And I figured out leaving the group got rid of the thing above my avatar name, so I guess this is resolved.

Groups can have various Roles defined that can do different things within the group - and Roles can be assigned "titles", which is what is displayed above your name when you have the Group set as 'Active'.  You could have stayed in the group and just set the Active group back to None and the title would disappear.  Advantages of belonging to groups would be things like getting a discount on merchandise, getting periodic free gifts, being able to role play in certain areas, being able to set Home to certain areas, etc....  Also, you can modify your preferences for whether or not to actually display group titles -- note that that only affects your view, not others.

As to the shorts -- some items come delivered in a folder ready to use, others come in a box that has to be rezzed to unpack, others come in a box or HUD that needs to be "added".  The last type will sometimes auto-unpack and sometimes you have to click it to invoke the unpack.

Welcome to Second Life.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.