post in error

Calimar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Calimar said:

I don't recall scripting ever being an entryway into accessing outside of game information such as they are suggesting.  Is it possible?  They are convinced that I need to delete the tv all together, because it was a cheap tv therefore it's likely being used to gain access to items on my account including credit card info.

I'm a very experienced scripter. Scripts absolutely CANNOT do anything like what you're describing.

• Scripts have no access to your private account info like password or payment info.
  • Scripts cannot buy more linden or charge your payment info.
  • Scripts cannot run in your inventory.
  • Scripts can request permission from you to transfer the linden dollars you already have on your account to other people, but that requires you to specifically allow that.
  • Scripts can add or remove people to your land's ban list, or eject/teleport them home.

It's most likely that the fraud is a coincidence. Your info may have leaked months ago.

It's possible that the webserver the TV connects to includes malware. TVs on SL are basically web browsers, so all the normal risks apply when you use media-on-a-prim.

In any case, you should definitely scan your PC, change your password, and call your bank to let them know. You could also contact LL support but I can't imagine them being able to do much.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Wulfie is completely right. Your friends are totally out to lunch. There is absolutely no way that LSL scripts have have access to your credit card information.  You have a security issue somewhere else.

If you own the parcel that the TV is on, it does not need to be deeded to any other entity. The deal is that the TV acts as a switch that allows you to change the parcel's channel for media access without needing to change it manually in World >> About Land >> Media.  It is acting on behalf of the parcel owner.  If the parcel is owned by a group rather than by you personally, then the TV has to act on behalf of the group.  Hence the need to deed it to the group under those circumstances. None of this has anything to do with your payment method.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1396 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.