Questions about changing my username

PeterPansie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am interested in changing my username, but I have some questions before I commit to doing this:
I guess I have a newer username, since I don't see any "." in my name, so I assume my last name is "Resident", is that right?
I never see the "Resident" part of my username when I am in SL or in my web account, so is the default "Resident" last name suppressed from display in SL?
If I change my username, I don't mind keeping the "Resident" part of my username.  It's better than the other name choices which appear in the last name selection options.  If I change the other (first) part of my username, will I have to change the (last part) the "Resident" part, too?
If I can keep the "Resident" part, and change just the first part of my username, can the new first part of my username have a "." (period character) in the new first part?
Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions!

3 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, PeterPansie said:

I am interested in changing my username, but I have some questions before I commit to doing this:
I guess I have a newer username, since I don't see any "." in my name, so I assume my last name is "Resident", is that right?
I never see the "Resident" part of my username when I am in SL or in my web account, so is the default "Resident" last name suppressed from display in SL?
If I change my username, I don't mind keeping the "Resident" part of my username.  It's better than the other name choices which appear in the last name selection options.  If I change the other (first) part of my username, will I have to change the (last part) the "Resident" part, too?
If I can keep the "Resident" part, and change just the first part of my username, can the new first part of my username have a "." (period character) in the new first part?
Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions!

Yes, your current last name is Resident and in most cases the 'Resident' is suppressed from showing.

When you change your name, you can pick a new first name and keep Resident as your last -- it is actually in the list of choices, but LL decided to not alphabetize the list for some odd reason so it takes a second to spot it. 

Your new first name can only consist of letters and numbers - no special characters at all and no spaces.

Here is the FAQ that might help for any other questions:
https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000155068-changing-your-username-faq/#Section_12

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

Your username is PeterPansie.resident, in its full form.  Some viewers omit the "resident" surname, others allow you to see it, with the correct Preferences setting.

You may change your username.  When you do, you can choose any surname in the current available list.  Luckily for you, one of the surnames is "Resident".  If you choose that surname, your new user name would be "YourNameHere.Resident" and in most viewers it would appear as "YourNameHere Resident". 

You may also choose to change only your first name, in which case your username would appear (to most, see the first paragraph above) as "YourNameHere".

You may choose any first name that:  1) consists only of letters and/or numerals (no periods or other special characters, sorry), and 2) has not yet been chosen by another resident to pair with that surname.

Choose wisely, my son.  Pick a name that 1) you like, 2) is not obscene or offensive, 3) is easily pronounceable, 4) (optional) has a suitable short form or nickname, and 5) (optional) is gender-neutral (you may at some point decide to try an avatar of a different gender, and "Hulk" looks silly on a girl.)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You may change your username.  When you do, you can choose any surname in the current available list.  Luckily for you, one of the surnames is "Resident".  If you choose that surname, your new user name would be "YourNameHere.Resident" and in most viewers it would appear as "YourNameHere Resident". 

You may also choose to change only your first name, in which case your username would appear (to most, see the first paragraph above) as "YourNameHere".

Oz confirmed that selecting Resident results in the same thing as a new user signing up and not opting to get a last name.  If someone's last name is currently Resident, whether they choose to not change the last name or select Resident as the last name, the result will be the same.  The only real reason Resident is in the list is for those that currently have a last name other than Resident and want to get rid of the last name. 

Basically,. regardless of how it happens, if the last name is Resident, it is all treated the same as Resident has been treated these past many years.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.