Oculus Rift S

Gecko Eros

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

None of the current generation of viewers supports VR. However, it is possible to render SL in VR. It is technically difficult and there is not much information about how to make it work. 

If you are into compiling viewers the code can be found in the remains of the CtrlAltStudio viewer. It was based on the Firestorm viewer. The code is old. It is in the repository. You could probably get one of the Firestorm Devs to point you in the right direction.

SL is not a highly optimized virtual world. That makes it difficult to render. No viewer has been able to provide the minimum 90FPS needed for comfortable VR use.

I suspect VR is still on the minds of the Linden engineers. They may push current work in that direction but they aren't talking about it if they are. This year the major push is in 'up lifting' the SL backend to the cloud. When SL is fully operational there we may see the added power of new hardware and ability to scale up things lead to consideration of VR once again. 

By then VR may have caught on in the gaming world.

I doubt that I have plugged in my headset even once this year... er... in the last 12 months.

Seem to have answered your own question.

In short, no VR setups are supported for SL. There was an attempt some time back to make a VR viewer but it was abandoned, presumably because SL is a poor fit and unable to hit the required consistent frame rate to mitigate motion sickness (and that whole dedicated no dead VR platform that shall not be named).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.