Security Settings on the Mainland

GaryPreston

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Having read many times in LL guidelines that all residents are expected to enjoy the facilities provided, I find it hard to believe that owners of land are allowed to set their "security systems" to as little as 10 seconds. If you are flying a helicopter over a large plot at normal airspeed it is not usually possible to clear that space in 10 seconds. Whereas the majority do set a minimum of 30 seconds, and some even more, which is a reasonable time, there are some who set 10 or 20 seconds and this is not really sufficient to be able to get across. The result is that you are thrown off and your helicopter returned to inventory. In the private islands around the Blake Sea, region managers say in their covenant that security systems must be set to at least 30 seconds for that very reason. Why isn't the mainland similar? I know there is no covenant but this is common sense.

This is most frustrating especially if you have been flying a long time and cannot continue your journey. It spoils any enjoyment of a normal, harmless activity in Second Life.  I'm sure that somehow this goes against the Linden Labs guidelines.

Can anyone advise on this?

Edited by GaryPreston
insertion of "for that very reason"

2 answers to this question

You have made a good, logical argument.  A familiar one,too.  The fact remains that there is no covenant restriction on the mainland to prevent landowners from using rabid security systems.  We can't explain why policies are the way they are.  In Answers, all we can do is sympathize and tell you what the policy is.  I know it doesn't help on most of the Mainland, but Linden Lab does have a more restrictive policy in Bellisseria, which has some great places to fly over.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.