how do i upload mesh in sl, upload mesh button doesn't sh ow up

Densel Soulstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Mesh is still in Open Beta testing. The stuff you upload with that special viwer are not connected to the main grid we all use daily! 

So, if you still want to try and learn about mesh and test out stuff, you will have to visit the mesh forum and get the veiwer and the info and it will log you into the beta grid. From there you need to open the map or use a slurl link from the wiki to find the mesh sims. If you open the map up, just type in "Mesh" into the search box in the map window. You will see sims numbers and named like "Mesh 24" ect. Teleport to one of those and you will then be able to upload a compatible Collada file (.dae) and so on.

I reccomend the wiki for info on the format and how it all works, as well as any vids and the mesh forum here at the forums all have help and helpful people.

Also, If you (not you Poenald, but the OP :)) want to build on the main grid, you have to use regular prims - the ones available when you choose the build function - or bu creating sculpties, which are created in 3d software outside of SL and imported as textures.

- Luc -

You can use 'sculpties' as well. They are more flexible to work with than what are known as 'Prims' in the SL world. I reccomend the wiki and Torley's Video's.

Here is a link to the wiki's Creation Portal: http://www.youtube.com/secondlife#g/u

To Torley's Videos at Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/secondlife#g/u

Next, find a "sandbox" via search and go out and build some things. You need to use linden dollars to upload 'sculpt maps' to make non prim shapes and also to upload the textures. You can buy textures from in world texture artists, or buy libraries ect. and load them up if you get alicense from them. Of course, you can simply make your own with a camera, procedural (genetica is neat for this!) and bake whatever you have in blender or render and then use a photo editor to prep themfor prims. Prims can be a pain to texture, so I advice seeking out Robin Woods in world place and web tutorials: http://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLTutSet.html

Basically, sculpted prims will need some special plug ings and scripts if you want to go beyond using the in world build tools. You will need to use one of the softwares for it or also you might benifit from using a in world tool that converts prims to coordinates to help make sculpties. There are a few tools in world that do this and some specific software all available at the marketplace.secondlife.com website (the official Sl marketplace online) and well...from all these tools you will sort of have to find which ones work for you. I will give you a quick idea of what I use and my thoughts...but really, this is personal and I make certain shapes and my best stuff is not made yet as I learned 3D while making my present objects for sale...so they are...well, rough and not reflecting my present skills. BUT, as far as what I use and like for making sculpties: Blender(2.49b) with Domino Marama's Primstar 1.0 script/plugin is my main sculptie tool set. I also have seen the Scultp Studio in action and it's output and like the way it handled the rool cages and moto frames I saw. The exporter for blender I tried (pre-Primstar 1.0, it might be better or I was missing something in teh technique) didn't do the rollcages well on my cars and I have seen people do better with Sculpt Studio. For textures I use Gimp and also blender materials and baking using the sculpt shape to get ambient occlusion and shade or shadow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.