mute doesn't work for me?

AnnHerrick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been getting IM's from those I have muted. Why might that be? Shouldn't they be unable to send me IM's? Just now I muted a guy I saw eyeing me, and just after that he IM'd me. I thought he would not be able to do that. I've also muted people saying offensive things, and they just kept on sending me IM's.

What's the skinny on muting?

Edited by AnnHerrick

If you have actually blocked someone, you shouldn't be receiving any local chat or IMs from the person. So, either you didn't actually block people when you thought you had, or you have unblocked them.  If you IM with, Pay L$ to, or give inventory to someone you muted, that person is automatically unblocked, so it's possible that you did one of those things.  You should be able to tell whether a person is actually blocked by checking your Blocked list  (Communicate >>> Blocked List in the standard viewer).  

15 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you have actually blocked someone, you shouldn't be receiving any local chat or IMs from the person. So, either you didn't actually block people when you thought you had, or you have unblocked them.  If you IM with, Pay L$ to, or give inventory to someone you muted, that person is automatically unblocked, so it's possible that you did one of those things.  You should be able to tell whether a person is actually blocked by checking your Blocked list  (Communicate >>> Blocked List in the standard viewer).  

So, in addition to muting them I have to block them as well? Why does not muting them just shut them up? It would seem blocking them is the only thing that works, so why is there muting at all?

To clarify, Linden Lab changed wording a few years ago, but old-time members still tend to use the term "mute" instead of the newer term "block".  They mean the same thing. 

Quite separate from blocking someone in world, you can also choose to "ignore" someone here in the forums by going to one of her posts, right-clicking on it, and selecting "Ignore User."  Doing that has no effect in world, just as blocking someone in world has no effect in the forums.  They are separate functions.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

To clarify, Linden Lab changed wording a few years ago, but old-time members still tend to use the term "mute" instead of the newer term "block".  They mean the same thing. 

Quite separate from blocking someone in world, you can also choose to "ignore" someone here in the forums by going to one of her posts, right-clicking on it, and selecting "Ignore User."  Doing that has no effect in world, just as blocking someone in world has no effect in the forums.  They are separate functions.

Or just mouse over the name on the left of the post and click Ignore User in the middle at the bottom of the popup.

On the forum, that is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.