Fitted mesh problem

MilaChristensen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello to everyone

I have two problems and I hope to find a solution for them
I am new to rigging and I face two problems  in fitted mesh as follows:

i1.thumb.png.1567f996fc1c86ad55f9726072196a52.png

the first problem shown in this  picture , the hair is of my design in the picture  2 shown in my ad the hair is normal a bit long but  in the picture 1 appears very short in length
of course the shapes are different and i'm not expecting  a big similarity but there is a large difference between them.

I'm using mayastar for rigging and my setting are :

bind method:closet distance

skinning method:classic linear

normalize weight:post

max influence:8

Dropoff rate :5

the second problem is follow:

i2.thumb.png.5413fb40cdf65ed1a142663ae22ff036.png

The second problem is similar to the first but somewhat strange

the hair in picture 4 appear different from the image in maya ,when i try others hairs from others creators with the same shape they have no problem, but i have

in your opinion why i have that difference?

any advice will be appreciated ..thank you so much

Edited by MilaChristensen

3 hours ago, MilaChristensen said:

I'm using mayastar for rigging and my setting are :

bind method:closet distance

skinning method:classic linear

normalize weight:post

max influence:8

Dropoff rate :5

All settings are good, except for the Max Influences: SL caps them to max 4, so there-s no point in having them higher than that. Deformations results would be biased by the capping once uploaded, also.

About the discrepancies:

Case 1 is most likely due to the automatic capping to 4 influences, therefore having some weights removed might just give out that result.

Case 2 instead seems normal to me.Screenshot_1.png.150be26e9573a3c88be3654a1ef3b937.png

See how your shape is consistently narrower inworld than the default avatar in Maya. Wear a newly created shape and make the comparison with that and see.

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Rigged meshs are scaled according to bone length, a shorter and narrower avatar will lead to a shorter and narrower mesh.

This is not entirely accurate: the mesh follows the bone scale, for narrower shapes the bones scale side-by-side also, in a non-uniform fashion.

Edited by OptimoMaximo

OptimoMaximo

thank you so mush because you have explained to me things I did not know before ,its really great what you do guys here

Case 1 is most likely due to the automatic capping to 4 influences, therefore having some weights removed might just give out that result.

I went down to the 4 influences ,it seem that look ok now testing in beta grid

• Like 1

To get the same exact look you're after for your own avatar, yes. Maya supports custom bind poses, and a shape falls within the definition of bind pose. So if you make a replica of your avatar shape on Maya and bind your mesh to it, you'll get the mesh to look exactly as you designed it in Maya on your avatar inworld. 

11 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

To get the same exact look you're after for your own avatar, yes. Maya supports custom bind poses, and a shape falls within the definition of bind pose. So if you make a replica of your avatar shape on Maya and bind your mesh to it, you'll get the mesh to look exactly as you designed it in Maya on your avatar inworld. 

thank you so much for the help 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1737 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.