does anyone know or have anything about an ACER Aspire 5750 4gb Core i3 - Black...LaPtop... i am loo

Violet Intermenos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

does anyone know or have anything about an ACER Aspire 5750 4gb Core i3 - Black...LaPtop... i am looking into getting it but in the shop wifi was a poor connection and although the internet was fine second life made me a cloud or egg in the viewers...my av just  wasnt loading ...sooo anyone know anything that can help me? ty :

7 answers to this question

A poor connection is one of the causes for cloud avatars. It is impossible to say whether the machine will be adequate given that limitation. Your issue with the laptop will be more the power of the GPU (graphics) the processor and memory are cetainly strong enough to run Second Life...laptops often have poor graphics cards. Some of the more expensive ones intended for gaming put much better cards in them.

Here's a link to one of the best blogs I've seen on the issue of cloud avatars

http://blog.nalates.net/2010/09/24/avatar-render-problems-ghost-cloud-smoke-ball-ruth/

Hello Violet. You said us the colour of the laptop (black) but no some imporant features about it like for example the graphics card. The best you can before to buy a new laptop is to check the system requirements:

https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/index.php?lang=en-US

About the operating system now SL runs only in 32bit. Have it in your mind also.

Good point Trix. Not only for SL but for all the 3d games. You can find the recommended graphics card for SL only with very expensive laptops (at least at my country). Very good graphics cards for laptops means very good processors and memory also, which they aren't necessary for SL, so a big cost, we can avoid with a desktop.

This laptop uses the new Intel Sandy Bridge architecture with integrated graphics in the form of the HD 3000. Now these integrated graphics are a sizeable step-up from previous Intel integrated graphics but still somewhat short of playing games particularly well. Reports suggest the HD 3000 is close to the Nvidia 320M in performance but that's with a quad core i5 or i7 while this Acer only has a dual core i3 and the 320M is only an entry level card anyway. I think you may be disappointed with this laptop's performance in SL. Hopefully, someone who already has this laptop or similar will comment.

You mentioned your WiFi connection was poor.  I believe that is most of your problem.  Even a good WiFi connection won't perform very well with SL.  WiFi is fine for regular web surfing, email, even video streaming (though you'll get a lot of starts and stops to buffer data ahead of what you are trying to view).  SL is a different animal.  Nothing is buffered, nothing is stored on your computer (except the viewer........think of it as a browser since that is what it really is)........everything you see (including your avatar) is delivered to your computer from servers located in several places around the United States (mostly from San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX).  You log in and your viewer makes requests for data so you can see what's around you.  The servers send that data (a lot of it too).  If your connection is "poor" (slow), it's going to take a long time for your computer to get it, process it, and display it on your monitor screen.  Then theres the added "problem":  The data changes almost constantly.  Everytime you move or pan your camera it changes, everytime something else or someone else enters that area you are in, everytime someone's scripted prim changes it's color or texture.  If you are not recieving that data quick enough you won't see it, your avatar won't load, you'll find yourself appearing to walking in super slow motion or moving to jerks.

Your computer is capable of handling SL..........not the best but is should work.  Without a good connection even the best computer ever made won't load everything (or even anything) if the connection is too slow.  You need, at the very least, 500 kbps download to have an extremely laggy experience.  1,000 kbps for an exceptable experience (but still have to deal with lag in most places).  2,000 kbps is probably good enough for most places (but lag will rear it's ugly head once in a while).  See where I'm going?  Internet connection is key...........the more speed the better.  Three things that are paramount for good SL experiences...........lots of connection speed, lots of RAM, and an above average graphics card/adapter.  You're close on the processor and RAM, marginal on the graphics, and bad on the connection speed.

That's all I can offer.  I know it's not good news but it's an honest answer from what I know about computers, the Internet and SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4734 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.