Unfixed Damaging Bug

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It only permanently affects no-mod attachments.

It would be a boon to Second Life if anyone affected by this bug would write a notecard to every single creator of the permanently damaged no-mod products. Their superstitions eventually inconvenience every customer. At the very least, let them feel a tiny bit of the inconvenience they inflict on us all.

And for every mod-perm attachment that can have its scripts reset and set running: those creators deserve a hearty thanks for not falling prey to the "copy protection" conspiracy theory that victimizes so many dunces among their competitors.

(As to fixing the bug itself, personally I'd start by changing llTeleportAgentHome() into a no-op, or possibly replacing its implementation with llEjectFromLand(), but there may be other ways to trigger the bug, too, so it should be fixed. In the broader scheme of things, however, this is not the first time no-mod attachments have been responsible for widespread content loss; these have always been vulnerable products and their creators need re-education. That emphatically includes Mesh avatar and head creators.)

Edited by Qie Niangao

24 minutes ago, VictoriaGrwd said:

Well tried reviving mod items with no success, luckily those were able to be replaced with fresh copies. One item I was wearing at the time was non copy/no mod and cost 13,480 L$.

This is a major reason I avoid buying anything that is no-copy that costs more than L$25.

PROTIP (for copyable stuff) - *Always create a "backup" folder and put a never-used original copy of your tool, gadget, scripted-thing into that folder. Then when such bug or otherwise discomboobilation of said item happens, you can always just toss it and make a new copy from the backup. It's why my 450,000 items inventory really should be half that. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VictoriaGrwd said:

Well tried reviving mod items with no success...

That's weird though. It's possible for scripts to rely on state that's lost upon reset but that's exceedingly rare (it makes debugging a nightmare). One thing some of us have seen (in other situations, at least) is the need to actually recompile the scripts in order to get them running again, so that may be worth a try when no replacements are available.

Speaking of expensive no-copy attachments: Ages ago it was common to sell transferable, no-copy animations for AOs. That lasted up until an interval when no-copy items often simply vanished when rezzed. Of course, many AO objects were no-copy merely because they contained those no-copy animations -- and very often the most valuable item in an avatar's entire inventory would be their fully-stocked AO. Not surprisingly, in the uproar of furious customers, most animators quickly learned to sell only copy-perm animations, especially any that might be used in AOs. Now if only we could get the creators of no-mod attachments to similarly see the light.

19 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Now if only we could get the creators of no-mod attachments to similarly see the light.

Ditto this. Attention all creators of all things: I am one who rarely balks at price. Though the permissions of a product are something I always scrutinize carefully and is very much a purchasing decision for me. If I am comparing competing products, the copy/modify version wins that competition every single time. For me, the permissions even outweigh any benefit of additional features.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.