Constantly Downloading Updates

AdrienAgreste

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hope this is the right location for this. Lately every time I open SL it requires me to download an update, and I do mean every single time. Even if I update, start the game, play some, close it, and immediately reopen it it still says I have to update again. Additionally, today every time I try to open (and of course update) the game the screen is just completely white. If I close and reopen it that seems to fix the problem, but then it has me update and when it reopens the screen is white again. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Delete your viewer shortcut & create a new one.
Since the LL Bugsplat viewer was promoted to release, the way the updater & launcher work has changed.
Previously the shortcut would point to SL_Launcher.exe - SL_Launcher would check for updates & then launch the viewer exe.
Now, the shortcut needs to point to SecondLifeViewer.exe again & the updates are handled by SLVersionChecker.exe.
Attempting to launch the viewer via the old shortcut will cause constant viewer updates to the same viewer version.

If what I said is gobblede*****, delete the viewer shortcut on your desktop & then just install the SL viewer again from Downloads | Second Life

Does that fix the problem?

I'm not sure what the white screen thing is but if it still happens after you have fixed the bad shortcut, please comment back.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 1

The simple answer if often that you have saved your viewer in a place where the updater isn't expecting to look for it.  If you have been using the 32-bit version of Firestorm, for example, it is saved in a different directory on your hard drive than the 64-bit version would be.  So, if you have been using the 32-bit version, your desk icon will be aiming for the location where that viewer is stored.  If you then download the 64-bit version but don't create a new desk icon, the system won't know that you updated.  It will keep trying to start the 32-bit version and may tell you that it's out of date.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.