You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over a year ago the owner of the Farthest Shore sim (among many others at the Adult Hub) which is home to Wild PonyGirls, began an LLJIRA , BUG-202882, which refers to the chronic lag-spikes created when avatars arrive on neighbouring sims to Farthest Shore. That action causes the creation of “Child Agents” on Farthest Shore and results in long spikes of virtually zero script run and physics FPS, they can be 3-5 seconds long. This, obviously badly disrupts almost ANY experience of SL, but it destroys ponysport. There are over 40 watchers on that JIRA but so far there has been zero response from LL apart from basic triage and “accepting” it, which makes further comments impossible. In frustration, Serjourn opened a second JIRA this month, BUG-226298, which, thanks to a campaign by Swenyia Chuwen, has now 100 watchers. There is, as yet, no response from LL.

A related issue is bedevilling another Pony Stable, Darkwing, on the stand alone Devon Dream sim. Now there is no obvious way that child agent creation can be causing the choppy, spiky running of Devon, which at one time was remarkable for the smoothness of its running. I have put my mind to the issue, and have come up with a possible cause…that there is “cross-talk” of that simulator with others on the same server and this might even extend to other servers on the same power-supply bus. I do not know enough about server interconnection or SL code to know how far-fetched this idea is but I urge anyone who reads this post to visit those JIRAs and read the comments therein and put your views in addition to those already expressed and PLEASE add your names to the watching list!

We need to get this issue resolved as soon as possible and at the very least get some response from LL on this issue. I wonder whether these JIRAs will remain unassigned and whether the new one will soon also be “accepted” to stop folk adding to it and showing LL just how much disruption this issue is causing!

I would not ordinarily bring a topic such as this to such a forum, but this matter has been going on far too long without any significant  action from The Lab.  I now feel that this matter, which is undoubtedly a Server issue needs a bit more public airing to promote a response from LL.  So I apologise in advance if some take issue with my posting this here but enough is enough.  I should also be clear that those two are not the ONLY JIRAs on that subject, there are several, all raised by concerned SL users who are seeing their SL experience significantly degraded by this or closely-related problems.

Edited by Ayesha Askham
Additional text

3 hours ago, Ayesha Askham said:

I would not ordinarily bring a topic such as this to such a forum, but this matter has been going on far too long without any significant  action from The Lab.  I now feel that this matter, which is undoubtedly a Server issue needs a bit more public airing to promote a response from LL.  So I apologise in advance if some take issue with my posting this here but enough is enough.  I should also be clear that those two are not the ONLY JIRAs on that subject, there are several, all raised by concerned SL users who are seeing their SL experience significantly degraded by this or closely-related problems.

I would suggest the bug reporter and perhaps a couple of others who are well versed with the issue attend at Simon's Simulator User Group on any given Tuesday. Anyone is free to address specific issues such as this. For details see  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server/Sim/Scripting_User_Group  

I wonder whether these JIRAs will remain unassigned and whether the new one will soon also be “accepted” to stop folk adding to it and showing LL just how much disruption this issue is causing!

Assigning the issue is irrelevant. LL bug reports, once triaged and accepted, are converted to an internal issue. What is BUG-202882 to us becomes MAINT-8155 internally to LL and assigned which is how they track it. If LL needs more info from the reporter, they simply ask for it. They don't accept or otherwise resolve an issue to stop people from talking (though that is convenient), but as part of the triage process. Everyone's bug report is the most pressing to them. There are some things I'm waiting for too. And so is this person. And that person. 

In frustration, Serjourn opened a second JIRA this month, BUG-226298, which, thanks to a campaign by Swenyia Chuwen, has now 100 watchers. There is, as yet, no response from LL.

I get the frustration, I really do. Be prepared to have it linked to the accepted bug report and closed as a duplicate. It may not happen, but that's the usual process because tracking the exact same issue on multiple bug reports is a waste of time. Again, suggest a couple of people attend Simon's meeting and come with links in hand and ask of the progress. 

Edited by Willow Wilder
  • Like 1

Willow:

To the best of my knowledge several of the OPs of the BUG reports have been at user group meetings in the recent past and have, thus far, received no response on this matter, THAT is why so many of us are frustrated!  Simon has stonewalled on this issue for over 6 months now.  Now I'm just A N Other SL user but Serjourn is a major player and deserves better treatment than the current brush-off.

Edited by Ayesha Askham

I don't think Willow can do much about ordering the Lab's triage list Ayesha. Accept her advice with good nature as it was given.

I have seen the "cross talk" you speak of on my estates too. Normally a manual reboot or two will fix it. Rarely - very rarely - a ticket to the lab asking the region is moved to a new server fixes it for good. It's nothing to do with the "power supply bus".

Edited by Shudo
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ayesha Askham said:

Willow:

To the best of my knowledge several of the OPs of the BUG reports have been at user group meetings in the recent past and have, thus far, received no response on this matter, THAT is why so many of us are frustrated!  Simon has stonewalled on this issue for over 6 months now.  Now I'm just A N Other SL user but Serjourn is a major player and deserves better treatment than the current brush-off.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone attending a user group meeting and asking for the status of a particular bug report is getting "no response", unless you are saying "no response" means not the response they want. I've been to plenty of meetings and Lindens address pretty much each and every question put to them. How one chooses to characterize their response is another matter. Just ask Oz how many times I've brought up the server-side attachment issue. 😆

Also, when investigating an issue and considering the resources required to do that, the complexity, the time, the availability of engineers and others, other bugs and projects being worked on, I'm not sure that the entitlement of whether a player is major or minor is a factor. Admittedly I have no inside knowledge about this. 

• Like 1

@Shudo

Firstly, a "simple reboot or two" is not doing anything to fix this problem, nor, as you would see from the JIRA does changing server. Serjourn could give you chapter and verse on that!

Secondly, I would not expect Willow to have any influence to change any aspect of the LL triage process (I am puzzled as to why you'd think that).

This BUG goes much deeper than simple server crosstalk, though I still believe that something of that nature is affecting Devon.

@Willow

While I appreciate the prejudicial inference of "entitlement" in other cultures, I do think that when someone has put as much time and money into SL as Serjourn they should be afforded a little more consideration.  I also know how much time you and Whirly put into chasing up several of the more irritating BUGs in SL , the TP detachment one being a prime example.

Edited by Ayesha Askham
additional text
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VenKellie said:

patience young avi. im sure the lindens will have the issue resolved soon. it takes time to find the problem, debug it and send out a fix. it can't happen overnight.

Oh dear, I do dislike folk who offer such advice without ever having actually read the OP.  We have been waiting patiently for over one YEAR now.  Enough already!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1922 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.