Slow down

Chassie Rowley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is more a curiosity question than an immediate need one.

I'm out and about doing some shopping and suddenly my avi slows down to an incredible slow pace, almost stopping at times. It doesn't happen in most sims or regions but in areas that sell items offering multiple textured finishes (Blueberry or Vinyl for instance. Not knocking what they offer). I can see it happening to others if I am standing still; other avis come to a quick crawl before speed kicks up again. It happens when there is a number of customers or two or three. Erratica, 7 Deadly S[k]ins and Truth are other locations I have suffered speed problems. I am not criticizing the shops for they do offer well prepared product.

My FPS is good as is my ping and other basic readings. It's the sudden lack of walking speed that has me wondering.

Any ideas?

Edited by CharlieMack

3 answers to this question

This is definitely caused by lag, but not the kind @Ethan Paslong mentioned.

This is called server-side lag, which means it is the sim you are in that is experiencing a slow-down which affects all avatars equally at the same time. (Your viewer only tells the sim which direction to move your avatar and it is the sim that handles actual movement.)

Specifically, it is caused by a reduction in processing time spent on physics, but the cause of the reduction can be many things.

Most commonly, this slow-down is experienced right when a new avatar enters the sim, because the sim becomes busy handling all of the incoming data, like the avatar's attachments and scripts, and bringing those into the world.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.