Mainland Parcel Division

Fontula

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm pretty new to Secondlife, and just bought myself a little parcel of land on Heterocera. I checked all my neighbours' plots before hand to make sure there was nothing obnoxious or irritating next door - there's some Linden-owned land, a small abandoned patch and two relative large landowners which, for now at least, have left me an unobstructed path and view to the road and the sea beyond - quite happy with my little spot

Once I'd bought the land and was planning my building, however, I suddenly stumbled into a banline. This surprised me since I'd checked for these before purchasing, and was wondering if next door had put it up just now. When I looked, however, I see that I had over looked a tiny little 32 sq m patch at the corner of my property which is owned as a separate parcel.

This is not a big problem - I just turned off ban lines in my viewer so they don't bother me, but it left me wondering how the land was divided up in the first place to leave this little square as its own parcel. Is this the legacy of previous owners subdividing and reselling land to buyer's specs with little bits getting left over?

It also leaves me wondering why someone would be so protective of an apparently empty square of grass; but that's probably not something anyone here can answer.

• Like 1

If you have a parcel on mainland you have no guarantees that your situation will stay the way it is when you buy your parcel. A new neighbour can show up any day and put up banlines, an ugly build or a big plywood textured wall. You could of course see who the owner of the small parcel is and politely ask them to remove the banlines.

Btw, congratulations on your new parcel. I have two small parcels in heterocera and I find it to be one of the most interesting and diverse of all the continents.

Edited by Christhiana

15 hours ago, Fontula said:

I'm pretty new to Secondlife, and just bought myself a little parcel of land on Heterocera. I checked all my neighbours' plots before hand to make sure there was nothing obnoxious or irritating next door - there's some Linden-owned land, a small abandoned patch and two relative large landowners which, for now at least, have left me an unobstructed path and view to the road and the sea beyond - quite happy with my little spot

Once I'd bought the land and was planning my building, however, I suddenly stumbled into a banline. This surprised me since I'd checked for these before purchasing, and was wondering if next door had put it up just now. When I looked, however, I see that I had over looked a tiny little 32 sq m patch at the corner of my property which is owned as a separate parcel.

This is not a big problem - I just turned off ban lines in my viewer so they don't bother me, but it left me wondering how the land was divided up in the first place to leave this little square as its own parcel. Is this the legacy of previous owners subdividing and reselling land to buyer's specs with little bits getting left over?

It also leaves me wondering why someone would be so protective of an apparently empty square of grass; but that's probably not something anyone here can answer.

Those one square parcels might have been used for advertisement, or land groups will keep one next to key areas that they want to re-buy so they can use it as grounds for a land claim should the area near it become abandoned again. 

23 hours ago, Christhiana said:

If you have a parcel on mainland you have no guarantees that your situation will stay the way it is when you buy your parcel. A new neighbour can show up any day and put up banlines, an ugly build or a big plywood textured wall. You could of course see who the owner of the small parcel is and politely ask them to remove the banlines.

Btw, congratulations on your new parcel. I have two small parcels in heterocera and I find it to be one of the most interesting and diverse of all the continents.

Sure, there's no guarantee I won't have obnoxious neighbours tomorrow, but that's no reason to buy somewhere that has obnoxious neighbours today! Luckily, a lot of the land in this region seems to belong to the same group; who've had it for a long time, so hopefully it's pretty stable.

And thanks for the welcome! Still a lot of exploring to do but my immediate surroundings seem quite nice.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.