Parcel Questions. Max Height and Security

Jaysson Turbo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1.I have two probably simple questions. 1st what is the max height you can exist on a Region. Private Region to be exact. Not build height. Height in general.

2. Is there any sort of script or object that can edit your Parcel Always Allowed or Always Banned list? Thanks. Like if the object is placed by owner of parcel. I assume not but it never hurts to ask. I know all about security orbs and how they work etc. And they have there own scan, range, eject and ban. But I'm just wondering. Thanks.

There is no absolute height limit for avatars in SL.  Long ago, there were "altitude record" attempts, and some avatars got up to several million meters.  There do appear to be some odd effects on avatars at very extreme altitudes.

Since you can't rez objects above 4096m, that's really the practical limit.  If you ban someone from your land (a person-specific ban, by putting their name in the parcel ban list), they are banned at altitudes up to 5,000m.

Why would you ban objects belonging to the parcel owner (presumably yourself)?  Not that I think that is possible.

You can keep out intruders AND their objects by using tools like:

• The parcel ban list (for people)  Also, security orbs, for more general effect.
  • Autoreturn (to return objects rezzed or moved into the parcel by unauthorized people)
  • Turn off Object Creation except for you or your group
  • Turn off Object Entry except for you or your group (I don't recommend this one, especially if you are on land that people are likely to sail past or fly over).
  • Like 1

Thanks pretty much what I have already done. Still good to know. And no you misunderstood one thing and that is my fault. What I meant is I was saying I wonder if there is a security system that can modify or add people to the parcel Not allowed list etc.

And I thought to myself the only way such a script would probably work even if it was allowed is the owner of the Security Orb would probably also have to match the owner of parcel. But even still I don't think it's possible to script that.

1 hour ago, Jaysson Turbo said:

And I thought to myself the only way such a script would probably work even if it was allowed is the owner of the Security Orb would probably also have to match the owner of parcel. But even still I don't think it's possible to script that.

is possible to script the parcel access/ban list. More Info here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlAddToLandBanList

1 hour ago, Jaysson Turbo said:

Thanks pretty much what I have already done. Still good to know. And no you misunderstood one thing and that is my fault. What I meant is I was saying I wonder if there is a security system that can modify or add people to the parcel Not allowed list etc.

I wrote one like that that detected people coming into the region, and adding them to the ban list for 4 hours. I spent quite a bit of time working out how to allow planes to fly through, but not boats or cars. So, it was a plane safe security orb operating via the ban list, that also turned itself on and off as I entered the region. It worked well.

One day I should package it and add instructions (Back a few years ago when I was doing this I asked on the forums and Qie said there would be no need for it, so I stopped the last bits of cleanup)

is probably worth doing Callu

6 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

One day I should package it and add instructions

is probably worth doing as an alternative to a security orb in a shared situation.  The parcel owner could add staff/tenants/etc as an officer to the controller.  The officer can then type on a channel:  /1 ban  Some Resident.  /1 unban some Resident.  /1 pass Some Resident. /1 unpass Some Resident. etc   

• Like 1

Interesting those are neat ideas. It turns out the security orb I use DID exactly what I was suggesting on it's own. lol  So the feature I was so wondering about not only exists. But I tested my orb. That means that both my parcels in the same region now have one of these and it's working the way I like.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.