No Chinese or Korean Translator for SL viewer & marketplace?

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Callum Meriman said:

Because nobody has volunteered as a translator. Are you up to the job?

I'm not talking about for GM/ ticket support. I'm asking why not just for coding it in like other video games even ((Discord)) does. For example, why not at least code the language inside the viewer or in marketplace to help them understand/play on Second life.

8 minutes ago, Haselden said:

I'm not talking about for GM/ ticket support.

Translations in the viewer are a thing. They need people fluent in English and the language they are willing to work in.

The translator gets an XML file and alters it to be the desired language, that is checked and merged in.

Here is the profile page in Japanese, it exists because someone who knew Japanese and English sat down and did it....

80c3602e9159d989dd4bbb5f0818b668.thumb.png.288bc6794e8d41ee3b772b88dcc66199.png

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Translations in the viewer are a thing. They need people fluent in English and they language the are willing to working.

The translator gets an XML file and alters it to be the desired language, that is checked and merged in.

Here is the profile page in Japanese, it exists because someone who knew Japanese and English sat down and did it....

80c3602e9159d989dd4bbb5f0818b668.thumb.png.288bc6794e8d41ee3b772b88dcc66199.png

Well, I was thinking just use google translate, for the coding but I guess that makes some fine points to have it done correctly. The guy i'm friends with though does actually code who might he need to contact?

Like he'd prob do it for Korean language anyway

Edited by Haselden

Just now, Haselden said:

Well, I was thinking just use google translate

That produces quite bad translations, especially with some of the colloqial terms used in SL "What is the proper Chinese phrase for 'Region Control' or 'Avatar Render Settings'" as used by people who play SL currently? I can't say with certainty but I doubt google translations would be suitable. 

Hopefully someone who knows more then me can answer the other questions.

Yes, Google translate is not a good idea. It can't handle subtle differences in word meaning or words or deciede when to translate a word or leave it like it is. You definitly need someone who speaks the language on a native speaker kind of level and that person needs to be trustworthy to not make any spelling or grammar mistakes by accident. Because if thats not the case, you end up with translation issues you weren't even thinking about. I'm currently still seeing one translation mistake in the german version of the marketplace...

11 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

That produces quite bad translations, especially with some of the colloqial terms used in SL "What is the proper Chinese phrase for 'Region Control' or 'Avatar Render Settings'" as used by people who play SL currently? I can't say with certainty but I doubt google translations would be suitable. 

Hopefully someone who knows more then me can answer the other questions.

Ah, And no need. Just found out he meshes doesn't write script. So he can't do it either haha.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2033 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.