I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 6770. Has anyone gotten this card to work with SL?

Dunewave

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As I said, I'm running one of the new 6770s. I log in, everything seems okay for about a minute. My computer locks up and goes to a grey screen then completely restarts. Card works wonderfully great in any other program other than Second Life. I'm nearly positive its because Second Life doesn't support this new of a card, but has anyone gotten one to work? Here are my system specs.

Second Life 2.6.5 (227385) Apr 21 2011 19:04:01 (Second Life Beta Viewer)
Release Notes
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840T Processor (2900.01 MHz)
Memory: 6144 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series 
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1065
OpenGL Version: 4.1.10516 Compatibility Profile Context
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

Second Life 2.6.5 (227385) Apr 21 2011 19:04:01 (Second Life Beta Viewer)Release Notes
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840T Processor (2900.01 MHz)Memory: 6144 MBOS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series 
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1065OpenGL Version: 4.1.10516 Compatibility Profile Context
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)Voice Server Version: Not ConnectedBuilt with MSVC version 1600

Edit: I have the most up to date drivers for my card. Is it possible that my card just flat out isn't supported by Second Life? I realize that its newer than what is listed on the website as being supported.

5 answers to this question

I updated the drivers, though the XFXATI Radeon HD 6770 only has one driver set for it (the 8.82). Updated up to the ATI Display driver 8.84. Now the system crash is happening more efficiently. 30 seconds into the game, the screen goes to a stripped brown and the system reboots claiming a Blue Screen error. Its nothing like the Jira report unfortunately. The game loads and displays fine. It just gets to a certain point and decides my computer doesn't like it and restarts the whole system.

Should probably note too, I'm running on Windows 7.

The 'new' AMD Radeon HD 6750 and 6770 are not really new cards, they are rebadged versions of the 5750 and 5770 cards they replace with similar specifications and performance but with a new BIOS. OEMs were first to get them but seems they are now on general release too.

The HD 6770 should therefore work fine with Second Life. From what I can see, there is no updated driver for it yet and you must use the driver on the CD that came with the graphics card, i.e. driver 8.82, until such time as AMD update Catalyst 11.4. Driver 8.841 included with Catalyst 11.4 released 27th April is not compatible with the 6700 series and the 6700 series is not mentioned in the Release Notes for that version.

You need to uninstall 8.84 and reinstall 8.82 from the CD. This is what XFX Tech Support say according to one reference I came across. Ensure you reboot after uninstalling the driver then once booted up again, install the driver from the CD. Does the CD only contain the driver or a Catalyst Control Centre as well?

Please do that and then report back. On the one hand, you're right, it's a new card and not on the Second Life gpu_table.txt file but as mentioned above, on the other hand, it's not really a new card so it should be fine. I fear this is a driver issue and until AMD release new drivers for the 6750 and 6770 may not be fixed for you. I suggest you contact XFX Tech Support and see what they have to say.

Even if SL is not recognising the card, it should default it to mid settings and work. We can try a little experiment and stop SL examining your hardware but I doubt that will have any effect on the stripes and crashing.

Right click on your SL shortcut, select Properties and change Shortcut > Target from:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer2\SecondLife.exe"  --set InstallLanguage en

to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer2\SecondLife.exe"  --set InstallLanguage en --noprobe

Do let me know if you have CCC installed and not just the driver as if so, we can try changing some settings to see if they help at all.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.