OBJECT_RENDER_WEIGHT question

Innula Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The wiki explains, of the OBJECT_RENDER_WEIGHT flag to llGetObjectDetails(), that 

If id is an avatar whose render weight is unknown to the simulator, -1 is returned.

Under what circumstances, though, will the avatar's render weight actually be unknown to the simulator?   I ask because I'm testing something and I'm getting that result at times and I don't understand what its implications might be.

• Like 1

Interesting: The main description says “This is a flag used with llGetObjectDetails to get the Avatar_Rendering_Cost of an avatar, based on values reported by nearby viewers. If no data is available, -1 is returned. The maximum render weight stored by the simulator is 500000. When called against an object, 0 is returned.”

The implication is, the server only knows if a viewer has recently reported the rendering cost to the server. That (top of page) description seems more specific than the one you copied from the chart. Helpful?

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Thanks.   I still don't understand the implications, though, since when I've tested the script while alone on a private region, it's returned a result for me.   

So unless in all cases where I'm getting this result it's for avatars who are out of everyone's draw distance and using text only viewers (which is possible but wildly improbable for where I'm testing) I still don't see why I'm seeing that result as often as I am.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:05 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting: The main description says “This is a flag used with llGetObjectDetails to get the Avatar_Rendering_Cost of an avatar, based on values reported by nearby viewers. If no data is available, -1 is returned.

That is no longer true. The value used to be the average of data from all agents in the region and in adjacent regions but it was changed recently. Some tests I've done indicate that an agent's OBJECT_RENDER_WEIGHT now is based solely on info from that agent's viewer.

I have to emphasize though, that the calculated render weight, whether it's directly from the viewer or via an lsl script, is seriously compromised by a number of errors and not in any way a reliable indicator of an avatar's actual render cost. For a start, the calculation does not take the fitmesh LoD bug into account, and that error alone can easily alter the result by a factor of tens, hundreds and even thousands.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.