Anytime I upload a rigged mesh it rotates 90 degrees clockwise

Qilu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been dabbling in building meshes using blender and have recently started trying to rig a bit. Every time I upload the meshes to the secondlife beta grid they rotate 90 degrees clockwise. I'm using blender version 2.79 and as far as I can tell I haven't done anything wrong.  My normal are flipped, I have no rotation issues, the rigging works great in blender, I have skin weights checked on the upload menu... i'm at a loss as to what is going on. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

The issue is most likely related to the bind pose rotation embedded in the collada on export 

If you are using avastar then please make sure you have the latest version.  this all came about because of mixed standards in the sl definitions.  Mesh rigged to  +X forward and animations +y forward. 

I provided a fix for the bind pose rotation issue and it is included in the Animesh viewer which you can get from the sl viewer download page under alternate and project viewers. That should automatically fix any bind pose issues. 

• Thanks 1

okay, so i'm in blender and this makes total sense... currently my avastar is facing toward the y axis. So that's no Bueno... can I just rotate the whole model... my rig and all toward the +x axis.... export again and upload? or is there something more technical I need to do? Though i'm totally going to check out the Animesh viewer... i'm not sure which would be the easier fix... or if it's really just 6 of one... half dozen of another...

I've downloaded the animesh viewer and used it to upload. My item is still rotated 90 degrees clockwise and sticking out of my throat. I'm fairly positive that this is probably the problem (with the axis) i'm just unsure how to work around it as mentioned above. Is it as simple as rotating the whole avastar toward the +X axis before I rig something to it? I have the most recent version as far as I know... i'll check that again. But it's definitely facing the +Y axis as a default. 

I did some more work and rotated the Avastar origin toward the +X axis... this helped a TON on the next upload. The fit isn't perfect but it's WAY better than it started out. Now it's just shifted to the right slightly.... so I think this is definitely where my problem was. I can't thank you enough for the heads up about the axis situation. If I just need to move my origin point around a bit until I find the sweet spot... that's at least far better than the banging my head against a wall that I was doing before

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

The issue is most likely related to the bind pose rotation embedded in the collada on export 

If you are using avastar then please make sure you have the latest version.  this all came about because of mixed standards in the sl definitions.  Mesh rigged to  +X forward and animations +y forward.

I'm using the Animesh RC as my default viewer, and I've noticed it gives me a warning about the bind pose rotation.

I export rigged mesh with Avastar version 2.4.1, but I don't have access to the daily releases unless I buy a year of support. Does 2.4.1 deal with the issue, or is there something else we can do? 

@Raindrop Drinkwater

The warning itself should not be an issue, the Animesh RC viewer has code in it that applies the bind pose rotation correctly. Though I can not accurately predict all the different ways people use it so YMMV. So for the simple case, do nothing, test uploads on Aditi and if it all looks good then nothing more needs to happen. 

The way to get the rotation correctly aligned is to rotate the entire model 90 degrees in Blender so that it has +X forward. what I cannot be certain of is how the older Avastar exporter deals with that. In theory, it ought to then have standard bind pose applied. If it does not work then getting that in Avastar will require the newer versions. With Animesh coming, investing in the updates is probably a sound investment (it depends on how much work you are likely to do with Animesh)

@Qilu glad that helped.

Beq

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.