Some more suggestions on fixing the "DNS cannot find host" issue.

Ray Lonergan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking for some more suggestions if there is any on solving the 'DNS cannot resolve host name" issue. I have tried everything I could find online and in forums to fix the issue. So far I have tried these solutions to no avail. I am using Windows Vista. And on Viewer 2.4 which works fine,everything after 2.4 gives me the issue.

1.Reset modem and router (multiple  times)
2.Clear out my DNS cache
3.Change my DNS addresses to

So far none of these have worked, Someone posted once to me that they had friends with the same issue and they basically  do what I have do. Keep using the old viewer till they hopefully solve the issue in a future release again. And to note this issue had cropped up in one of the first versions of Viewer 2 which I had before and switched to Emerald because of it. A later version worked witch makes me suspect this is a problem on the SL side.
So any other suggestions if anyone knows of any would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Ray,

Myself and many others are indeed experiencing the same issue. For some the new DNS address change may be a temporary fix depending on your general system setup and OS but for others there is no hope. I am currently using the previous stable v2 release because I simply cannot get a way around this issue.

Please Join and vote on the following Bug Report in the Jira and also submit your secondlife.log files for review - To speed things up I would also suggest you create a new support ticket explaining your issue and containing link to the Jira in order to get the technicians to pay attention to the issue.

Jira: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25627

Support: https://support.secondlife.com/

Ray I think I had the same problem you did a while back.  I'm not sure if you have tried switching your dns to another service like google public dns.  You can find the instruction page for windows through searching google public dns.  It did work for me and that error box went away.  I tried to post the link but for some reason the forum won't let me :(

Good Luck

Thanks David I did vote and comment on that bug report. I am not sure what is causing this issue, I mentioned in my original post that I had this experience in the past with one of the earlier versions of Viewer 2, in fact if you google the issue you can find links to the same problems with that earlier version. I assumed they fixed the issue since once I decided to try Viewer 2 it worked. And one odd thing I did try the Snowglobe version of the viewer at that time, the SL viewer 2 gave me the DNS error, the Snowglobe version using the SL viewer 2 coding worked fine. I am pretty sure by now this isn't a problem with my ISP or with my computer, this is on their end.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.